MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Cold Smoked Bacon In South Florida

Been wanting to try this for a while now. I had a belly in the freezer that Donna got me the last time she was in NC. Instead if a dry cure, I injected a wet cure. The belly was then submerged in the remaing brine for a couple of days, then rinsed and chilled for three more days.

Hung the belly in the smoker along with pots of ice, smoked with hickory. The smoker temp ran between 62 and 74-ish. I had to re-ice every three hours. The belly smoked for 18 hours. I put it in around 6:00 PM.

After 18 hours of smoke

Chillin'

Half a slab sliced. I had to put it into the freezer to firm up the bacon in order to slice it.
A BLT in the making. I'm happy. Thanks for looking!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

You're making my mouth water! Thanks for the post and great pics.
CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great. On a side note I have been to Stuart a bunch of times. My best friend is a PSL cop and I used to live in Broward.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
bluetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-0 BBQ View Post
Looks great. On a side note I have been to Stuart a bunch of times. My best friend is a PSL cop and I used to live in Broward.
Outstanding! Give us a call when you're in the area, we'll, well...you know.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Holy Pork Bellies!!! That's got an awesome color to it before and after cooking! What did you use for a brine

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
chad

Very nice job. Congratulations!
I have to ask, is the boat in the avatar yours? We time share at Jensen Beach every so often...

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
billygbob
On the road to being a farker

Thumbs up Oooo, Ahhh, And?

Gorgeous slices!

But, but, but:

- What was in the injection?

- How was the flavor and texture?

- How does it compare to a dry cure?

- How is the cold smoke versus hot to 150*F? Smokier?

- Would you do it again? Change what?

Can you share? I really, really, really, really wanna do a belly this fall (really) and am looking for all the infos I can find.

Many thanks <billyg>
billygbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
bluetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalon View Post
Holy Pork Bellies!!! That's got an awesome color to it before and after cooking! What did you use for a brine

Jalon
I used a recipe out of Rytek's book. 2 1/2 qts water, 1/6 cup cure#1, 4/6 cup dextrose, 3/8 salt.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
bluetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Very nice job. Congratulations!
I have to ask, is the boat in the avatar yours? We time share at Jensen Beach every so often...
Please come and see us! The boat is a commercial dive vessel that I had made and ran for many seasons. I (thankfully) sold it...bitter sweet. It now runs out of Scuba Works in Jupiter.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
Outstanding! Give us a call when you're in the area, we'll, well...you know.
Will do. I am due for a trip.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Outstanding Blue!!! That is some fine lookin' bacon!!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice.

Have you ever tried slanina? Thats what it is called in Slovakia.Its popular all over Europe.

Take hunk of bacon about an inch and a half thick. Then boil it for about 20 mins. ( I suppose the boiling could be bypassed since you know the bacon is fresh) The boiling will kill any bacteria as well as cook off some grease.

After get it cold then slice it thin. Serve it on wedges of rye bread sliced to accommodate the bacon slices. The open face sandwich should be small about 1"-1-1/2" square. Then top them with things like horse radish (my favorite) Scallions, mustard etc.

I love them on occasion, they are very rich. Surprising to some cause they think it is "raw" bacon.

Worth a try since now you have so much bacon.

In Slovakia these sandwiches are called voyachikovia translates to 'little soldiers'

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
Please come and see us! The boat is a commercial dive vessel that I had made and ran for many seasons. I (thankfully) sold it...bitter sweet. It now runs out of Scuba Works in Jupiter.
Thanks for the invite! We haven't been over that way lately but keep saying we've got to get back for a visit.

Happiest two days in a boat owners life: 1)The day he buys it and 2) The day he sells it!!

Again, great job on the bacon. Rytak Kutas' and Mike Ruhlman's books are "gospel" for curing meats and making sausages. I have 'em both and use them as "wish books" when I'm deciding what project to tackle next!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Wampus

WOW! Looks great BT!

This is one of my most ultimate goals. I REALLY want to try and make my own bacon soon!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
bluetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygbob View Post
Gorgeous slices!

But, but, but:

- What was in the injection?

- How was the flavor and texture?

- How does it compare to a dry cure?

- How is the cold smoke versus hot to 150*F? Smokier?

- Would you do it again? Change what?

Can you share? I really, really, really, really wanna do a belly this fall (really) and am looking for all the infos I can find.

Many thanks <billyg>
Yes I will do it again, but not with the ice thing, PITA. I'll wait for colder days.

The texture was much softer that bacon that I've cooked hotter... much!

As far as a comparison with dry that I've done, I think I would like to do a honey cured, cold smoke. I like the honey cured flavor more, but have not done it cold.

As far as the difference in a hotter smoked product, I think the colder smoked is a more supple and so friable a product where as the hotter smoked is stiffer, both taste fine to me .