MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #31
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
Funny that Bill would revive this thread and that this was the last post.
Yesterday, I bought a lot of 5 collapsible 5 gal bottles off of EBay for about $14 delivered.
No more concrete blocks to deal with--YEAH!

TIM

Twas gonna tell ya about this Chad--but you get to hear it here first
I wasn't able to find quite the same deal, but this site has 6 collapsible jugs for about $20 after shipping. Four for the legs and another couple for transporting water. http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Co...product/129801
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #32
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye
* Tall tables make a heck of a difference. We brought standard wooden folding tables and realized after getting only 1/3 of the way through trimming all of the meat that bending that far over for long periods of time does terrible things to your back. I saw a lot of PVC extensions (legs inserted into pieces of PVC) and Bad Bones had some great expandable tables from Costco.

* Again, don't try to do everything yourself. Divide responsibilities, whether assigning each person a category of specific duties. Lay it out in advance and stick to it so you're not stepping on each other.

* Above all else, don't take it too seriously, at least out of the gate. I almost drove myself nuts after a bad showing instead of focusing on what did work, what we had overcome, and what we accomplished. One great showing (fifth in grilling on Sat) and one bad showing (37th on Sun) equals one average overall showing with a ton of great lessons, new friends and memories.

- Clint
This were all key for us in our first year, especially the last one. Our motto was "Have fun, don't come in last!" We competed in 3 contests and came in 3rd in the final two.

Be sure to walk around and talk to the other teams. Make friends and enjoy each other's company. Winning is great but I think I look forward to getting together with the friends I made more.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #33
Fredbird
is one Smokin' Farker

Tons of good info here! There was one thing we started doing last year to safe on meat cost. We always seem to has people asking us to cook something for us. We used this to help defray some of our cost. We would cook the meat we needed for the contest, pick out the best to turn in and the unused meat would go to whoever paid for the BBQ. We cooked as many as four briskets, four pork butts and nine slabs of spareribs. But our cost remained the same or was less.

The best advice? Have fun and make friends!
18" WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Aussie Gasser
MOFO Chapter
KCBS CBJ

"BEER is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Benjamin Franklin
Fredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #34
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fat View Post
Well iffen ya got a cordless hammer drill---tapcons are the answer---and a tube of grey caulk covers the holes

Buzz
What size would you recommend, and with or without some sort of washer?
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #35
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

I get a competition lesson every contest as I get my ass kicked.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #36
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
What size would you recommend, and with or without some sort of washer?
think we use about 1/4" tap cons--the bugle head seems to hold ok without any washers--im our experience anyway
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #37
Sawdustguy

In a couple of contests that we have competed in, the venue owner made announcements that any team making holes in the blacktop to secure their canopy would be asked to pack up and leave, and they meant business! Be careful.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #38
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
This could be one of those threads that could be continuously added to, but I did learn a few valuable lessons this weekend. Enjoy:

3. Be very patient with the spectators. It seems that "your space" is actually public space! My one regret is being short with a couple who wanted to samply my pork while I was putting together the turn-in box. If nobody explains it to the public, then how will they know how to act? Don't expect common sense...

This in my opinion is where the event organizers are not educated by KCBS or any of the other organizations.

I took my hand dandy word processor, and made me some signs. All I put on it is basically: NO SALES NO SAMPLES PLEASE DO NOT ASK

I put the letters as big as they would fit on the page, then printed them on colored paper. Had them laminated, and tape them to the back of my tent sides after I get set up. It is amazing the comments you will hear, but they will not ask for anything either. The general public will look, see, and walk on by to the next team and bother them....

Very inexpensive, and very effective.

If you would like, I can scan one, and post a pic.....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #39
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-n-my-i's View Post
This in my opinion is where the event organizers are not educated by KCBS or any of the other organizations.

I took my hand dandy word processor, and made me some signs. All I put on it is basically: NO SALES NO SAMPLES PLEASE DO NOT ASK

I put the letters as big as they would fit on the page, then printed them on colored paper. Had them laminated, and tape them to the back of my tent sides after I get set up. It is amazing the comments you will hear, but they will not ask for anything either. The general public will look, see, and walk on by to the next team and bother them....

Very inexpensive, and very effective.

If you would like, I can scan one, and post a pic.....

I have seen people use a dry erase board and prop it up Saturday morning asking the public not to talk to them until after 1:00 pm or the last turn in. Offer them a beer if they have questions and you can answer them then.
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #40
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Best thing to do before your first comp is a practice cook at home adhering to actual turn in times and box making. This was invaluable to me before my first comp. I knew what I needed to bring (and not bring) and what to expect. As far as being short with spectators..it doesnt take a genius to figure out whether someone is handing food out or not . I really have a hard time sympathizing with spectators who dont have the manners to ask first before grabbing. I woud try and set up your area so the prep table is away from the main walkway. it will help but you still have those who think nothing of walking into your space and helping themselves . Might be good to bring someone with next time for an extra set of hands and to "bounce" rude spectators for ya

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #41
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

I owuld say ASK ASK ASK! - If you forgot somethign ask around. . .I am surprise hoe much people were willing to help me when things failed.

True Story

About 5 years ago. I was cooking Sedalia - a 65 mph strait wind came through, and soaked all my charcoal, flipped over my grill and tore up my EZ up. I was goign to pack it up and go. Then people came over, helped me get some things back in order, Someone gave a big bag of lump, and people got me back on track.

I still smile when I think about it!
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #42
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I thought I'd add some of my personal experiences from our first competition this past weekend. I know a number of the things mentioned on this thread really helped out (zip ties were a lifesaver in the rainstorm and I made sure we had our tent sides down during turn-in times to avoid visitors with empty guts, for example).

* Organization. Create storage boxes, tool boxes, whatever, for everything you need and make sure it ends up back there so you know exactly where to reach when it's crunch time. Also makes loading and unloading much easier.

* Tall tables make a heck of a difference. We brought standard wooden folding tables and realized after getting only 1/3 of the way through trimming all of the meat that bending that far over for long periods of time does terrible things to your back. I saw a lot of PVC extensions (legs inserted into pieces of PVC) and Bad Bones had some great expandable tables from Costco.

* Again, don't try to do everything yourself. Divide responsibilities, whether assigning each person a category of specific duties. Lay it out in advance and stick to it so you're not stepping on each other.

* If there's grass, why setup your site on dirt? It looked great in the sun, next to the bathrooms and turn-in station, but the downpours turned it into a swamp. I think that's an basic rule of camping too but I was a pretty bad boy scout.

* Make sure your tent is well staked. At about 2am it lifted up and took off like a 12x12 foot kite, breaking a couple legs. Luckily we were able to bend them enough to put it back up, otherwise it would have been an even nastier night in the rain.

* When in doubt, use multiple gauges, especially on our relatively inexpensive smokers. Drilling an extra external thermometer or bringing one extra wireless thermometer would have alerted us much earlier on that the smoker temps were way too low, instead of finding out six hours before turnin and racing to catch up (unsuccessfully on the brisket, unfortunately).

* Above all else, don't take it too seriously, at least out of the gate. I almost drove myself nuts after a bad showing instead of focusing on what did work, what we had overcome, and what we accomplished. One great showing (fifth in grilling on Sat) and one bad showing (37th on Sun) equals one average overall showing with a ton of great lessons, new friends and memories.

- Clint
Good advice, younger me. We had a similar rainstorm last weekend, using the same rebuilt canopy which didn't blow away due to some serious weight from five gallon water jugs, but did partially collapse.

Funny thing is, aside from the wet, it didn't affect us at all. We are so much better organized thanks to my advice above and the countless advice of the great folks here. In the end, though, it just takes patience, practice, and the ability to accept and learn from defeat every so often.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #43
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

I don't know if it was Plowboy (forgive me if I am wrong), but when I was doing research for my first comp someone posted about the work boxes. When you practice, work out of your boxes. If you have to go to the kitchen for something make sure you write it down so you know to add it to the box. That will let you know you have everything. As Mista's thread said, after the first couple comps you will start to really cut back on what you take with you. The less you take, the less stress there is at set up and tear down time.
After you get home from each comp, go thru your boxes as you clean up and make a note about what you need to replace before next time. We do about one comp every two months. That gives plenty of time to make little purchases and eases the pain of the price to compete for a low budget team like us.

One huge mistake we made at the last comp of the year for us, I tried to cook extra meat for a church picnic the next day. 14 extra butts. I thought I had the time down for it to be done before rib time, but it was way too close and way too much stress. We do take orders from friends, co-workers and family and cook that meat for them on Friday or just take it out of extra butts after turn in times. It helps some of the guys on my team afford to come play.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #44
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
I get a competition lesson every contest as I get my ass kicked.
As he gives a lesson... holding the 20th place placard up at the Royal... sharing that the secret to his ribs was over-cooking them

Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #45
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Two lessons I have learned.

1.) trim your chicken the day before and foodsaver it or just put in big baggies
in the cooler...BIG time saver.....Newbies remember, no seasoning or marinating ...just trimming.

2.) Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your ribs and brisket slices are COMPLETELY
cut through!!

Pick each rib up separately and place in the box.......

Don't ask me how I know........
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote