MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
gpcvg
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Gene
Default Equipment/Smoker transportation

Ladies and Gentlemen I am asking for some input here about how you transport your smokers and equipment . Do you use an enclosed trailer, have your smoker mounted on a trailer, or carry your stuff in the back of your truck? I am a new team and just wondering what most do and what people think works best. Thanks in advance.
gpcvg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You'll see all of those choices and more! It depends on how much stuff you have, the type and size of the smokers and your budget.

We used a 6X12 cargo trailer for three years and then upgraded to a 19' toy hauler so we have a head, shower and beds.

But, a couple of years ago two guys showed up at a backyard competition on motorcycles with their stuff tied onto the bikes. They cooked in makeshift smokers made out of foil pans!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
BrotherInArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You'll see all of those choices and more! It depends on how much stuff you have, the type and size of the smokers and your budget.

We used a 6X12 cargo trailer for three years and then upgraded to a 19' toy hauler so we have a head, shower and beds.

But, a couple of years ago two guys showed up at a backyard competition on motorcycles with their stuff tied onto the bikes. They cooked in makeshift smokers made out of foil pans!
Agreed! It really all depends on what you have and how much of it. I load everything up in the back of my truck. I don't have expensive equipment ( a couple of backyard smokers ) and I havent done to bad

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
gpcvg

Name/Nickname : Gene

I am thinking of using a 7x14 enclosed trailer with a/c and a power set up. Tables and maybe a sink could be picked and added through auctions. I have ordered a Stumps Classic so I am thinking of having a wench installed in the floor to help me get it in and out. Just looking and getting some estimates right now
gpcvg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

I'm also a new team, and I'll be using the back of a truck. Simple reason is I own a truck, I don't own a cargo trailer, and I don't have the cash to buy a trailer-mounted pit.

If I can't get everything to fit, I guess I'll have to get a teammate with a truck or van. :)
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcvg View Post
I am thinking of using a 7x14 enclosed trailer with a/c and a power set up. Tables and maybe a sink could be picked and added through auctions. I have ordered a Stumps Classic so I am thinking of having a wench installed in the floor to help me get it in and out. Just looking and getting some estimates right now
One word of advice from someone who's been there. Get the biggest trailer that you can handle. It's amazing how much stuff you'll accumulate :)

BTW, I'd love to have a wench installed in our trailer, but my wife wouldn't appreciate it.

She might go for a winch, however

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
BaggerBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
I'm also a new team, and I'll be using the back of a truck. Simple reason is I own a truck, I don't own a cargo trailer, and I don't have the cash to buy a trailer-mounted pit.

If I can't get everything to fit, I guess I'll have to get a teammate with a truck or van. :)
I'm using a Toy Hauler. Last year we were pushing the smoker up the ramp. It's pretty heavy. I thought about putting a winch on the floor this year but I'm going to try doing it with a come a long fastened to the D-Rings in the floor. I'm still not sure if it will work or not but I guess I'l find out!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

U-Haul was our friend last year. 5x8 worked for us. It also was nice when it started raining (cold rain!) at PITP last year. We are in the process of purchasing our own trailer this year.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcvg View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen I am asking for some input here about how you transport your smokers and equipment . Do you use an enclosed trailer, have your smoker mounted on a trailer, or carry your stuff in the back of your truck? I am a new team and just wondering what most do and what people think works best. Thanks in advance.
Go with a Toy Hauler if you can get one. I looked at creating an enclosed trailer for competitions but for the price of everything a 23ft toy hauler was much better and more economical. Not to mention it comes with a bed, shower, bathroom and full kitchen.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
BBQBeaver

It also depends on what you have for a tow vehicle and its 'safe' capacities.

I have a SUV, so am limited to around 5000lbs total.

I would love a toy hauler with AC, shower, etc. but can't afford a new truck to go along with it (or the increase in gas), so we have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with built in battery and converter, table, fridge, portable cot, etc.

You work with what you got or can afford, but remember stuff adds up quickly and weighs much more than you think!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Florida Farmer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
One word of advice from someone who's been there. Get the biggest trailer that you can handle. It's amazing how much stuff you'll accumulate :)
I totally agree. I first started out with the back of my truck packed and pulled the smoker behind it. Then I graduated to a 6X10 cargo trailer, which wasn't nearly big enough. My next trailer was a 6X14 partially enclosed custom built horse and wagon hauler....loved cooking in it but it wasn't nearly big enough. Next came along a 6X40 gooseneck horse trailer...cooked in it for two years. For the past three years I have been cooking in a 8X40 fully enclosed horse and wagon hauler gooseneck pulled by a frieghtliner sportchassis. Presently I would really like to get a bigger trailer but I REALLY like the trailer I have now, so I reckon I'' be in it for a little bit longer. Figure out the size you need....then get one or two sizes bigger.
Florida Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post

You might consider renting a Uhaul trailer if you need more space and don't have a helper with the capacity to haul. I've seen quite a few folks show up with them.

We started in our minivan. Took out the seats and packed it full. We used two large Eggs at the time.

We've since then added a Backwoods Party and moved up to a Toyhauler. Momma likes her comforts. I must say I don't mind sleeping in a bed with AC or a furnace depending on the weather.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffjr View Post
You might consider renting a Uhaul trailer if you need more space and don't have a helper with the capacity to haul. I've seen quite a few folks show up with them.

We started in our minivan. Took out the seats and packed it full. We used two large Eggs at the time.

We've since then added a Backwoods Party and moved up to a Toyhauler. Momma likes her comforts. I must say I don't mind sleeping in a bed with AC or a furnace depending on the weather.
This picture is all that is awesome about bbq competitions!! . Do what you gotta do to make it work .

Now we currently have a camper that houses all the things we need for a competition and our 2 backwoods go into the back of my truck. I wanted a toy hauler, but is was much less expensive to find a camper and then put the cookers in the back of the truck. Of course you need more light weight cookers to do this.

But when we started out we had a small trailer that held the smokers and some stuff along with other bbq stuff going into the back of a truck. 2 pop up canopies work quite well for shelter, though I do love the camper now .

Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

For the non-toy hauler trips

I have to admit I was a little skeptical being that its a China Freight wheelchair hauler, but I laid down a sheet of 5/8" plywood and judiciously used tie downs securing the load and also to the vehicle. Smoker weighs around 300 and the unit is rated for 500. after my 140 mile trip, I inspected it and saw zero bending or cracking.

pretty good for $145 IMO and I was able to load and unload myself
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

When we started, we put a tow hitch on the Lincoln towncar we had, and used it to tow a 5'x8' trailer. That was an amusing look, but we didn't (and still don't) own anything remotely like a tow vehicle.

Since August of 2010, we've been using a minivan. Two 10'x10' canopies, up to 4 WSMs, 3 8' tables, 1 4' table, a couple of smaller side tables, cambro, two coolers, chairs, three supply boxes, floor mats, fan -- it all goes in there.

Downside: packing and unpacking, setting up and tearing down camp. It gets old.

Upside: no great outlay on expense to buy a trailer; no worries about where to store a trailer or tow vehicle (not possible at our house); increased range for longer trips as we're not limited to 55mph as when towing; and a rock-solid average of 22.5 miles to the gallon.

If you're only doing a few shorter trips during the year, those advantages aren't as important; but for the years we did up to 29 contests at an average of 6.5 hours one way, ranging up to 21 hours one way, those added up.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote