MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Default Why doesn't Wichita have a comp?

Does anyone know why Wichita, KS doesn't have a KCBS contest? Granted, there's one in Valley Center, but I would think that someone in the city would host one. Is it a saturation issue, or something else?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I have often wondered the same thing. There was a contest, South Central Kansas Masters, last held in 2010, don't know why it ended. Based on the KCBS website it looks like it was held for 7 years, the last contest had 35 teams. I would guess it would just take an organizer to get one started, and a decent place to hold it.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great question. I have no idea. There was one several years ago at Cowtown. Our mayor, Carl Brewer, is an active BBQer so I am suprised that he hasn't gotton the ball rolling, so to speak. Riverside Park would be a great venue for it as well. I'll ask Don at ATBBQ next time I see him.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Yes, Wichita used to have 2 different contests over the years... if organizers burn out, or change focus, and no one is there to pick up the baton, good contests can end for no good reason.

Would love to see one down there again! and can think of a couple of good venues!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Great question. I have no idea. There was one several years ago at Cowtown. Our mayor, Carl Brewer, is an active BBQer so I am suprised that he hasn't gotton the ball rolling, so to speak. Riverside Park would be a great venue for it as well. I'll ask Don at ATBBQ next time I see him.
Seems like ATBBQ would be a natural sponsor, too.

I come to Wichita to see the in-laws, and it'd be great to time it with a comp and not have to drive out to Burlington or Yates Center. Those are nice comps, but I've already traveled 2000 miles.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Yes, Wichita used to have 2 different contests over the years... if organizers burn out, or change focus, and no one is there to pick up the baton, good contests can end for no good reason.

Would love to see one down there again! and can think of a couple of good venues!
Andy I know CompBBQ would help an organizer. Any chance that ATB would be interested in helping? I know we would help the organizer probably even cut a deal on the cost. Just a thought...
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote