MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri
Default Shorter slicer knife, any recommendations?

I have a 12" F-Dick slicer, the one below but am looking for something short like 8". Haven't found one but know they exist. Any recommendations?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

That style slicer is designed for long pulls that wouldn’t work with an 8” version.

Tell us why you want an 8” knife and what you will use it for, and we can better suggest a style to meet your needs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

You could cut 4 inches off the 12 incher. Though I agree with m-fine that an 8 inch slicer may not perform well.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Most chefs knives are 8-10 inches so you could start there but its not going to be a true slicing knife, more of an all purpose knife.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
That style slicer is designed for long pulls that wouldn’t work with an 8” version.

Tell us why you want an 8” knife and what you will use it for, and we can better suggest a style to meet your needs.
The one I have works well for brisket but is rather big for doing ribs. Mainly, I want a smaller one because this one doesn't fit the nice leather knife bag I got for Christmas and that I take with me when I'm cooking on location. 8" or perhaps 10" would fit fine and still be plenty for cutting most stuff.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweave2614 View Post
Most chefs knives are 8-10 inches so you could start there but its not going to be a true slicing knife, more of an all purpose knife.
I've used a chefs knife and it's ok for ribs but not as good for other stuff.
I prefer using this type of slicer.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

I would think something like this may fit the bill. Its not the same as a slicer, but whats said above is correct.

rb

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Here's one that is good and on sale...

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/chefs...g-knife-p15125

They have many that would work for you depending on what you want to spend on a slicing/carving knife

Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

I would go with a 6” boning knife for ribs, or maybe a 7” gratin edge santoku style over a slicer.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culina...ons&psc=1&th=1

Old 07-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
MeatChef
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : MeatChef

I do everything with an 8” Chef Knife, 4” Paring Knife, and an 8.5” Flexible Fillet Knife. The Fillet Knife is excellent as a slicer. It does perfect brisket slices with one pull stroke; ribs also.
MeatChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019, 03:48 AM   #11
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Compared to my 14" slicer.... you already have a short slicer. But I would probably have to custom order a knife roll if I wanted to pack my slicer around.

Victorinox makes a 10" slicer, but longer is always better, an 8" model might defeat the purpose. Other than a Kershaw Blade Trader kit I keep in my backpack.... my universal traveling knives are fillet knives that I keep scary sharp. I do like bschoen's idea of cutting a few inches off your knife and re-profiling the end, I've modified a few NSF paring knives for membrane use, by rounding off the tip and killing the cutting edge.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote