Club cook

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been asked by our dog training club to cook for an event. They only expect 20 to 30 people. The event will be at our training field, no power there without running the generator. I know I will do a couple of butts, some chicken quarters and maybe ribs, we will also do baked beans. Other club members will bring other sides desserts etc.

My question is when to cook the butts. I want to take my Shirley to show off some but I don't want to cook at the site all night. I think get to site at 5 or 6AM, start ribs and start chicken 10 or 10:30. If I have smoked butts before hand do I pull and warm on the Shirley in a foil pan or smoke and keep whole, reheat and then pull?

Thanks

You didn't say what time the event is so I don't know how much time you will have the day of the vent to cook. I would cook the butts the day before and keep them whole. Reheat the day of the event and pull on site. I'd cook the ribs, chicken and beans on site the day of the event. My .02

Sorry the lunch will be one -ish, I will do the ribs, chicken and beans onsite. If I still have my juices in the foiled butts do I add more? Do I cook to tenderness on day one, then reheat to a temp the day of?

You can do butts in 5-6hrs if you cook hot and fast. I cook boneless butts in as little as 4hr by cutting them up a little (more bark, more surface exposed to the smoke, and less time)

The Shirley will finish butts running 300* @ one hour per pound easily, I run 58 butts at a time on mine to supply my Taco Tuesday special and I start them at 5am the smaller ones come off around 10:30 and the larger ones from there on until noon.

If lousy weather is forecast I pre-cook and pull them with an added vinegar and brown sugar based finishing liquid to increase moisture content while being held in the walk in cooler prior to reheating and serving.

To reduce cooking time on site just hold finished pans cold and let them run one hour in the main chamber and transfer them over to the warmer 1/2 hour before your designated serving time.

Sounds like a fun cook, enjoy it!

Back