Instant Pot or old school Crock Pot.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not cue related but I was contemplating on buying an Instant Pot. I love my Crock Pot but I really like the notion of making meals so quickly. My Crock Pot works great and I'm kinda tight with money so I need convincing. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Thanks.

Instant Pots have slow cooker functionality so you have that option for it too. I bought a mini one a few years ago and I thought it was really cool. I don't use it as much these days, but I think they are worth the money.

I bought one on a Black Friday sale several years back, have probably used it a dozen times.

We ended up with both since IP was a gift. Don't know that I'd add one if I already had a crockpot, but if I had neither, IP is a no-brainer

I bought a 6 qt a couple years ago, it's been a ton of fun.
The cheesecake was the best surprise, soup, stew and chili are fast and easy, so are the hard boiled eggs. When finishing pastrami, I wish I had the 8 quart...
The only downside I can think of is the silicon sealing ring picks up odor. Mine smells like chili spices. Buy a couple of spares if the smell is off-putting to you.
I don't use it every week, but I do use more often that the crock pot.

I like having both. Sometimes I use the crock for an overnight cook.... or put it on in the morning for supper after chores.
My instant pot doesn't have a crockpot feature but I like the sound of that!

One of my favorite uses is instant pot oatmeal. You need a glass bowl to place inside the instant pot, and you make a water bath around the bowl. Then place all ingredients in the glass bowl and hit start. I get everything ready the night before and leave the bowl in the fridge. Since I am an early riser, I just place the bowl inside the instant pot and hit start and it cooks the oatmeal perfectly while I sip on some coffee and the rest of the family sleeps.

Very rare for me to use the crock pot but my 6 and 8 quart IP's are workhorses in the kitchen every week. I find that whenever I put one away I end up pulling it back out within the day. Yogurt and boiled eggs are staples to get us through each week and last week was venison chili, rice, chicken alfredo, tacos, and a big batch of chicken stock with the leftover rotiss chicken and veggies the kids didn't eat from their school lunches. Ham bean soup tomorrow!

I'll stir the pot a bit more on the topic...

Loved my instant pot, but I recently bought an Ninja Foodi. I love having the pressure cooker/slow cooker in one, but the air fryer combo really rocks.

If I have a hankering for some wings I can go from in the freezer to on my plate in about half an hour. 5 minutes pressure cook (plus getting to pressure), 15 minutes air fry - toss in some sauce, wings are ready.

Folks over on the next valley had a insta pot blow up and sent 2 of them to the hospital in bad shape, haven't heard any of the details yet, I have a few smaller pressure cookers and they work fine for what I use them for, 1 is a Bella my wife bought me about 5 years ago, it will do a lot of things but never played with it much

Instant pot got the hell used out of it- for the first 6 months. Not so much now- but it still has a place on my counter. I have 2 crock pots - I'd have to hunt them down if I wanted to use them.

The Instant pot has a "slow cooker setting" but I don't think it works as well as using a real slow cooker.

Crock pot. There has been multiple threads and articles about this over the years.

If you have time, you will get deeper flavor with a traditional slow cooker. Flavors penatrate deeper into items the longer it goes. Same sort of reason why chili's and stews taste better the next day.

Bought one, not impressed...

I will say it’s the best way to do hard boiled eggs, buuuuuut thats about it...

My Instant Pot hasn't replaced my crock pot.

It has, however, replaced my pressure cooker completely.

I still have the pressure cooker on the shelf in the garage, for when the electronics go out on the IP, old faithful will still be there waiting.

I've had my 6 Qt instapot a coupe years. Still gets used once a week or two.
It makes the best collard greens & does it fast.

We have been looking at the Ninja Foodie. It’s an all in one pressure cooker, slow cooker and air fryer.

Back