30 Gallon UDS for camping, Need ideas Please..

jetfxr27

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I scored a 30 gallon open top unlined drum and I'm looking to make it a mini me to my 55. Plus it will be easier to lug camping. Any ideas on fire grate clearance. Will I need a dome lid to obtain clearance? My fire basket is 2.5" tall. Also intakes, same three? Only this time 1/2" compared to 3/4"?

657109_dim.gif

Thanks in advance,

jet

I made one and used a dome lid from a cheap weber knockoff from Home Depot. I had an old frame from a gasser and attached drum to it. I will try to find pics and send. It works great.

I made one and used a dome lid from a cheap weber knockoff from Home Depot. I had an old frame from a gasser and attached drum to it. I will try to find pics and send. It works great.

Which size weber? Do you recall?

I beleive this would work well and be a perfect mini me match!

0009442826043_500X500.jpg

Big Daddy
3995693348_85b7267daf.jpg

That's the same one! I have the top grate 2" from top of barrel and the second one down about 6-8". I usually cook meats on top and put pan of beans on lower one to catch all the juices. The lower one is also good for cooking links or hotdogs, etc.

That's the same one! I have the top grate 2" from top of barrel and the second one down about 6-8". I usually cook meats on top and put pan of beans on lower one to catch all the juices. The lower one is also good for cooking links or hotdogs, etc.

How far is your top grate from the bottom of your firebasket? Do you use a diffuser of any kind? Do you have flare ups from the direct cooking? What about intakes?

How far is your top grate from the bottom of your firebasket?

About 22-23". I would need to measure when I get home.

Do you use a diffuser of any kind?

No, although when I cook the beans, the pan kind of acts as one.

Do you have flare ups from the direct cooking?

Sometimes when I do the links, or have 2 briskets on, then I just put a 1/2 pan with water on the lower grate.

What about intakes?

I have 3ea, 3/4". One of them is a ball valve.

Last edited:
Did you dome lid fit on the top or bottom? Did it require any modification?

Back