The great smoker rib-off…almost.

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today’s the day I put the trusty LSG IVC up against the new Char Griller 980 and the new to me Pit Boss pellet pooper with. St. Louis rib cook off! The contenders were ready for battle:

dd18bc738561aa2b24b2f90758bf1e1d.jpg

Bought 3 racks, all the same size, same dry rub. Filled the first two smokers with charcoal and hickory chunks, the PB with hickory pellets. You can see the difference in smoke output right away in the first 20 minutes…

The CG:
950a3a1a032734f46b654ac89b4f04af.jpg

The LSG:
acadcaaabb852d242809a67f65b3abe7.jpg

The PB:
6e7e2ca4f1d265eb87ea148b0810ee00.jpg

And then…minutes into the cook, the 980 took a dump and stopped working. I’ve had this thing for a week, did one cook, and it’s done. Checked everything possible, tried 7 restarts, and no good. The 980 was out of the competition. WOMP WOMP.

So it was between the LSG and the PB, and quite honestly after the first 2 hours, the ribs on the PB were looking amazing. These photos are untouched.

PB:
ab0758534117e3a4b27e3a5b09534d6c.jpg

LSG:
4f382512e687c4f9ccb4ed8790e069a5.jpg

And the PB ribs were juicy the entire cook, the LSG ribs had to be spritzed down twice.

Right after the cook, the outside color ended up pretty similar. Here are the half racks from the PB on top of a full rack from the LSG (there were half racks as well in the LSG for the comparison):

55668a237ea41641cff1b3a05b0cb0cc.jpg

And then…tasting time. After an hour rest, we sliced them up. The PB ribs ended up drier than the LSG, and definitely less smoke ring:

953092fcc8555638259e1e9cecd028e3.jpg

65d41e6601714fcb190885e5d0e53abe.jpg

And in the end, the taste and texture wasn’t even close. The LSG was more juicy, more flavorful, and had a good pull to it coming off the bone. It was hands down the winner.

Now if only the 980 worked!

Nice comparisons.

Sorry to hear about the 980...

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the 980 ugh how frustrating. I figured the LSG would have been better but, surprised about the big difference in moisture.

Now the question is whether to get a replacement part for the 980 (they've been very responsive at CG) and risk something happening again after my return cutoff at Lowes, or just return it now. Thoughts?

Now the question is whether to get a replacement part for the 980 (they've been very responsive at CG) and risk something happening again after my return cutoff at Lowes, or just return it now. Thoughts?

I would return and possibly buy another as to start over fresh. I just had a horrible experience with a return to Menards. In the end they did the right thing but, it took 3 months.

Wow. I had been kicking around ordering a LSG pellet pooper vs. the mini IVS but this has given me pause. The ease of use of the PS has a lot of attraction but the IVS isn't that much more difficult. hmmmmmm....

Wow. I had been kicking around ordering a LSG pellet pooper vs. the mini IVS but this has given me pause. The ease of use of the PS has a lot of attraction but the IVS isn't that much more difficult. hmmmmmm....

It's definitely not when you add a pit controller to it. The difference in the quality of the product was night and day.

Well there is that!

Curious what failed on the Char Griller? I've got 3 cooks (spare ribs, burgers & reverse seared ribeyes) down on mine with no issues, but your post has me wondering what I need to look out for.

Curious what failed on the Char Griller? I've got 3 cooks (spare ribs, burgers & reverse seared ribeyes) down on mine with no issues, but your post has me wondering what I need to look out for.

I keep getting an ErF (fan) error and it all shuts down after a few seconds, it's a known issue with the controller.

I keep getting an ErF (fan) error and it all shuts down after a few seconds, it's a known issue with the controller.

Interesting, have they been responsive getting a new one to you?

Crossing my fingers I don't hit this bug. Have 18 people coming over for July 4th, will not be pleased if it goes south for that cook.

Oh wow, I hate to hear about those CG 980 issues. Build wise it appears to be the better product, but if the controller is worse or more finnicky than the MB models then I'm not sure that's the case. I hope its some easy-to-fix error. Regardless frustrating situation with a new grill :/ Even with good support it doesn't change the fact that your cook was screwed up that specific day.

Thanks for doing the comparison. I'll cant wait to do a similar compare with my IVS & MB 560 when the chance arises.

Back