Injecting Pork for Pulled Pork

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Please bear with me, I do have a motive here, which might possibly be revealed in the near future. I'll let the thread play out for a while before taking the next step.

QUESTION:

Do you inject your pork when making pulled pork?

What is your favorite injection recipe?

What do you hope to achieve by injecting the pork?

How many Butts / Picnics do you inject at one time?

What is your current injector?

Feel free to include a picture of your injector in the pork.

* * * If you prefer to not inject that is fine, a simple no, or no response at all is appropriate.

I'm not trying to be persuaded one way or the other. Just looking at How, Why, and What others do to inject.

QUESTION:

Yes

60% smoked pork broth (made from seasoned and smoked pork neck bones) + 40% Coca-Cola + Worcestershire. I don't object to adding some AmesPhos but usually don't.

Flavor & Moisture

The most is 10 to 15

SpitJack Magnum

QUESTION:

Yes

I prefer to use either the "Chris Lilly" apple juice based injection, or Oakridge BBQ Gamechanger injection

Moisture retention, added flavor (I think some parts of the Boston butt can be kind of bland when using commodity pork), and I think there's a slight texture improvement

However many I am cooking, I've done 1 and I've done 15 at a time

Pro Shot Injector II

Feel free to include a picture of your injector in the pork.

Inject with 50:50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar with some rub added.

Extra juciness and flavor.

60 cc syringe with injector needle from Amazon

Never cooked more than two butts, usually just one.

I mainly inject at competitions because I have gotten feedback from the judges on comment cards that my pork had no flavor, when I didn't. I rarely inject at home, unless I am doing a comp practice. I use a standard injector that you can pick up at the grocery store.

Yes

Commercial - Sweet Brine 'o Mine (great stuff!)
DIY - Chris Lily's recipe with 1/2 salt

Added flavor

Have done from 1-14

Stainless steel injector

All that said, I don't find injecting to be 100% necessary, just a way to add some flavor.

1.Yes
2. Peach nectar, mango nectar, apple juice....cayenne pepper, agave, hot sauce, powder mustard, salt
3. moisture and flavor
4. usually 2-3, but have done a case of them occasionally.
5. cheap plastic 40cc injector spayed with food silicone.

One additional question I’d like to know is: how long before you put the pork butt in the smoker do you inject?

One additional question I’d like to know is: how long before you put the pork butt in the smoker do you inject?

I shoot for at least 8 hours, usually ~12, but I dont use any of the injections at their full salt strength so it wouldn't bother me to do it a day or two in advance.

For me it depends on which cooker I use and temp / length of cook. If I am using my Hunsaker, I am cooking using the Bludawg KISS method of cooking at 300 to 325 and yes I inject with the Chris Lilly injection right before putting the pork on. If I am using my RecTec and I am cooking for 14 to 16 hours at 225 then no I am not using any injection. I have found that using the Chris Lilly injection causes the pork to turn into somewhat of a cured / pastrami type texture. Only did that once and didn't like the outcome and haven't tried it again or any other injections. Love the Chris Lilly injection on a medium hot / fast 8 to 10 hour cook on the Hunsaker.

Back