Crab steak topping?

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Sammy
I've been asked to cook for my friend's birthday dinner tomorrow. I'll be doing a couple racks of ribs and some ribeyes. I want to take it up a notch and after seeing a recent recipe from Malcom Reed I am thinking of doing a crab topping for the steaks.

I was thinking of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan and then dumping in a can of crab claw meat with a little lemon juice. Thinking I would let that warm the crab and then pour the mix over the steak. Sound like a good idea? Any pointers?

Do a search for "veal Oscar" or "steak Oscar", this combination is one of my favorites... and you can improvise to your hearts desire.

I had looked up the steak Oscar, but most of the recipes included a cream to make it more of a hollandaise or a bearnaise. I've never attempted any of those types of sauces and I didn't want to goof up my first try for my bud's birthday. Do you think the simpler version will work?

Of course, your idea of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan will work just fine. You are essentially making a "compound butter" and you can make this ahead of time and chill it. You can add other signature herbs and spices as well. Then when you cook the steak you can warm the crab in another skillet and add the compound butter. You can also add a dab ob the butter mix to the steak before topping it with the crab.

Of course, your idea of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan will work just fine. You are essentially making a "compound butter" and you can make this ahead of time and chill it. You can add other signature herbs and spices as well. Then when you cook the steak you can warm the crab in another skillet and add the compound butter. You can also add a dab ob the butter mix to the steak before topping it with the crab.

That's a good way to look at it. Thanks for the help.

I had looked up the steak Oscar, but most of the recipes included a cream to make it more of a hollandaise or a bearnaise. I've never attempted any of those types of sauces and I didn't want to goof up my first try for my bud's birthday. Do you think the simpler version will work?

Yes. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple packets of Knorrs hollandaise or Bernaise sauce mixes. I like to buy the hollandaise and mix fresh tarragon to it. It is fool proof and tastes great.

Yes. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple packets of Knorrs hollandaise or Bernaise sauce mixes. I like to buy the hollandaise and mix fresh tarragon to it. It is fool proof and tastes great.

I agree, have used and liked those.

Better ask before you apply...
You put crab, or any "fish" around meat for my wife and she'd likely brain you with a frying pan. :wacko:

I think I will give the Knorr Bearnaise packet a shot. Cook the steaks. Warm the crab in a butter, salt, pepper, lemon, parsley mix. Make the bearnaise per package instructions. Roast some asparagus on the grill. Then let everyone build their own plate so they can omit anything they don't want.

I also bookmarked a crab imperial recipe for future use. Thanks everyone.

I think I will give the Knorr Bearnaise packet a shot. Cook the steaks. Warm the crab in a butter, salt, pepper, lemon, parsley mix. Make the bearnaise per package instructions. Roast some asparagus on the grill. Then let everyone build their own plate so they can omit anything they don't want.

I also bookmarked a crab imperial recipe for future use. Thanks everyone.

NOW,you have NAILED IT! Best idea possible.To each their own.Brilliant! :clap:

NOW,you have NAILED IT! Best idea possible.To each their own.Brilliant! :clap:

It turned out great. Got non stop compliments and one even said that this was a "prison last meal situation". The compliments were so much that I started to think it was just being nice, but the empty plates at the end told me otherwise. I did go with lump over the claw meat too.

It turned out great. Got non stop compliments and one even said that this was a "prison last meal situation". The compliments were so much that I started to think it was just being nice, but the empty plates at the end told me otherwise. I did go with lump over the claw meat too.

Way to go! People are characteristically polite, it's in our nature to offer compliments. However, for an out-of-the-ordinary meal like you prepared, observing body language, and of course eyeing a bunch of empty plates speak for themselves and confirm you nailed it. Watch out for what's bound to come.... the subtle hints to cook this or that. :mrgreen:

Back