"Original Recipe" Mongolian maple coffee bacon jam with a side of prOn...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We have an "Original Recipe" category going on over in the Throwdown sub forum...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4540468&postcount=1

It's been a while since I've participated in any TDs, so I figured it was time to take a mental break from these crazy times and re-engage in something fun.

My better half and I have been honing this bacon jam recipe over the years and have pretty much settled in on the version that follows. The only variation today is the substitution of the typical SPOG to John's "Sir Porkalot's Rib Rub".

Before we get to the pictures, here's the recipe and directions:

• 1 pound pepper bacon – roughly diced
• 1 extra large sweet onion – sliced lengthwise
• 1 cup maple syrup
• 2 teaspoons Naturiffic Sir Porkalot’s Rib Rub
• ½ cup medium roast black coffee
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

• Dice the bacon and cook over medium low heat until fully rendered and the fat is getting crisp. Remove bacon from pan and reserve the bacon drippings.

• Add sliced onions to the pan with one reserved tablespoon (or more) bacon drippings and sweat onions until soft and semi translucent. Add maple syrup and rub and continue cooking until onions have caramelized, stirring often. I’d ballpark half an hour-ish.

• Once the onions are caramelized, add the coffee, vinegars, reserved bacon and increase the heat to medium high. Continue to cook stirring often until the concoction is thick like jam. This step can go quickly or take a lifetime, but I’d estimate + / - half an hour, more or less, give or take. :noidea: Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasoning level as needed.

If you're still awake and have another hour or two to kill, to follow are the pictures of the process, along with a serving suggestion at the end.

j1AISJM.jpg

xr8FZ3Z.jpg

4TDdDFZ.jpg

OvxpXQT.jpg

zR6Ygrw.jpg

3tmPTRP.jpg

9lt2TsW.jpg

MxVzUGD.jpg

mkIupE2.jpg

xjKwdGK.jpg

44DQdEQ.jpg

Drumroll please... BACON JAM! :clap:

8dHXT8P.jpg

Now that you've seen it, you may be wondering what the fark do you do with bacon jam... Well, we really like it on burgers. I like mine pretty basic with simply mayo, stone ground mustard and pepper jack cheese.

eDoPhHE.jpg

0t0YNsP.jpg

If you've never had bacon jam, or would like to try a little different spin on one, I'd highly recommend giving our recipe a try. It's salty, sweet, spicy (thanks to John) and "super healthy"... :nod:

I've tried a couple different recipes that were only so-so. This one looks delicious, will have to give it a try.

Thanks!

Love it! I've made bacon jam a few times in the past, but like these ideas!

We mostly use it over smoked cream cheese. I need to make burgers so we can try it on there!

Thanks for all kind words, everyone and I hope you do give the recipe a try... The little tweak using John's rib rub is permanently "inked in" from this day forward for us. :mrgreen:

Back