MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Someone just had posted that the 300 & 400 is on sale at Restaurant Depot this month. I checked it out and the price is 300-$179 & 400-$245. Are these good prices for these or not much of a deal?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
Someone just had posted that the 300 & 400 is on sale at Restaurant Depot this month. I checked it out and the price is 300-$179 & 400-$245. Are these good prices for these or not much of a deal?
not that bad for new IMO

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Watch Craig's List, Dan. I found 4 of them for $120 a month ago...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Well here is a question. I don't see the original price. I go to Amazon.com and they have the 400 @ $349. The outside dimensions are the same, but the serial # is different...is this comparing apples to apples?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
eggzlot
Take a breath!

The one on Amazon is the UPC400, not the UPCS400, which was part of my first question on this post. Seems like the "S" model has no gasket or vent cap, but some built in venting system. The UPC (without the S) has a gasket and vent cap, but I think its an older model but I could be wrong on that.

I went to my local RD (Hackensack, NJ) to check it out - they have the UPCS400 in stock for $266, no sale. I asked the manager, he said RD are split into many regions across the US, all regions have their own pricing, their own sales, promos, etc.

The UPCS400 was gasketless, but right next to the MPC300 with the gasket (but 25% smaller). I will say it seemed to seal just fine without the gasket (and one less piece to clean/break/fix, etc) and the extra capacity was nice.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

$179 is like the everyday price for the 300 at Cash&Carry in the Seattle area.

My teammate has the H series he uses for catering large gigs, and as spendy as they were he got an energy credit rebate from the PUD which did bring the price down a lot. He also has two UPC400's but prefers the Carlisle's that are the same size as the 300's.

I have two UPC400's and a ThermoBarrier would be nice, but I cut a few sheets of 1/4" Lexan dividers to support foil pans and such. Also have an 180MPC top loader

I use it a lot at home for a couple butts or a brisket and when I do a work cook or a one pan drop off, but its really not practical for much else. Its molded so a full pan seats and you can't stack thinner full pans in it, but for $35 wth.

Gotta watch out for some of the used institutional Cambro/Carlisle stuff, I've seen some that were good looking from the outside, but the interiors have been overheated and distorted or cracked on the interiors, doors that won't seal etc. Replacement parts for them are not cheap either.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a used UPC400 form craigslist for $75. The outside was a bit scratched up but the gasket and interior were perfect.

Pre cook at comps the 400 is great as I just put a pan of ice on the bottom and can hold two butts, two brskets, four racks of ribs and 12-14 chicken thighs in various stages of prep all at once. It is so easy to put two butts in one pan after injectingn then later when its time rub the butts and back into cambro etc. Easy to slide in and out and not piled on top of each other or just left out at comps with flies etc is nice.

Post cook the same in and out with ease is just a great benefit when there are interruptions in processing etc. The only concern is watching to not have toooooooo much heat and carry over cooking but that is just a matter of figuring out your own system.

No way I could hold my butts, briskets and ribs in the 300.

The extra bennys as stated are great especially when having a party or large family dinners. Having all that room for holding main dishes/sides while dealing with appetizers makes the process so much less stressful.
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #23
Frankbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the 400 and it works great. The 300 is a little small for comps. The 400 makes holding and transporting a lot easier.
Frankbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

a great thread which I have been bouncing around myself.... Patrick, I have the craigslist app on my phone and have about a dozen "keywords" on constant rotation. They just are not available around here for cheap and if they do go online, its hours before they are bought.

Custom Humphreys Comp Cart,Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker, "skeeter" reverse flow offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK [URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Chokers-Bar-B-Que-team/149911985044419[/URL]

2016 Sponsors- Butcher BBQ,Stubbs,Shelter Logic, A Fine Swine, Mojobricks
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Watch Craig's List, Dan. I found 4 of them for $120 a month ago...
I tried to grab those but you beat me to the punch. A crazy deal. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I would rather have two smaller cambros than 1 large one.

Weight gets crazy if you have to move them full. I have a rubbermaid half size and it weights a ton unloaded.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Got a 400 last week after taking 4 weeks to get here. get it out of the box, ogling it for a bit and notice its cracked on the exterior lower left corner FML and time to begin the try to return process.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

I just got a UPC 400 and love it. Here is a diagram of space. Attachment 74008

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Last edited by tyotrain; 04-02-2015 at 03:18 PM..
tyotrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

On saturaday, the family and I passed restaurant Depot and I asked if I could quickly grab a pack of Butts to cook for New Years Eve. I had to take one last look at the Cambros because the sale was ending Yesterday. I'm a big guy so weight isn't an issue, the 400 was so much nicer than the 300...I caved. I took advantage of the sale and bought the 400 at Restaurant Depot. I have to correct that, my wicked awesome wife told me to put the Cambo on the cart.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I have a 300 and have to admit I could use more room sometimes.