MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
The Bird
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Gary K
Default Lone Star Grillz Mini question?

I have a LSG mini and have about 6 cooks under my belt. I use lump charcoal (12 pounds) and about 4 to 6 pieces of pecan the size of a fist. I've noticed that I get a lot of white smoke out of the stack instead of the blue tint. This happens with or without water in the pan. I use a fireboard controller with Guru fan and run at 250 F. Any suggestions or comments?
The Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

How are you loading the firebox? Per recommendations you should be piling the coals all the way to the top and not leaving a thin layer all across the bottom. I use the T Plates to load mine, I will say on my last cook the smoke did not smell as good and I had a fair bit of white but my other cooks have all gone very well with thin and blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_184544.jpg (48.6 KB, 252 views)
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'd worry more about the smell of the smoke and taste of the food over what color it is. If it smells and tastes good there is no issue. I've had my cabinet for 5 or so years. It never really runs clear. I just wait until the exhaust smells good and put food on. Run your fingers thru the exhaust... it'll smell good or like an ashtray. Come back in 10 minutes and smell again. You could try smaller chunks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
The Bird

I use the T plates as well, just as you say I fill the charcoal to the top and your presentation looks very similar to what I do. I know that in my stick burner I seldom see white smoke? Just curious if anyone else was experiencing this. Thanks guys!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bird View Post
I use the T plates as well, just as you say I fill the charcoal to the top and your presentation looks very similar to what I do. I know that in my stick burner I seldom see white smoke? Just curious if anyone else was experiencing this. Thanks guys!
It's very different than a stick burner as far as the fire is concerned. There is very little air moving thru a cabinet. The maze will help as it allows more air vs lighting a full basket of charcoal and letting it burn on its own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

I don't have an LSG but I do have a cabinet and I've never experienced the white smoke that you have described. I do get a little nasty smoke on start up but once up to temperature I'm either running clear or thin blue smoke.
Perhaps you might try starting your coals with less lit coals at start up this way you have a smaller fire requiring more air to maintain temperatures. A small hot fire will burn cleaner than a large fire that's just getting a puff or two air once in a while from your controller.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I'm running the same Fireboard/Pitbull fan setup. I'm guessing the smoke looks worse when the fan is running at full speed? And then when the fan shuts off and the temp starts to drop the smoke looks great? If so I notice the same thing. I'm going to try and open the top damper just a bit to see if it will draft a little more. I think the ideal setup is to get the top damper and the fan gate adjusted so that the fan doesn't have to run much at all.

Another thought is to go into the settings of the Fireboard and limit the speed of the fan to 50% I will probably do this as well. I think when the fan runs at 100% it causes more charcoal to ignite faster than usual and blows the "gunk" from the charcoal into the smoke chamber before it can burn off in the firebox.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
The Bird

Thanks everyone for their input. Happy smoking!!

Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Did you ever try to cook without the fan and just control with your dampers? How did it look there?
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote