MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #31
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Will be interesting to see where this pellet cooker thread goes! Personally, I have owned and cooked on a good number of cookers (gas, charcoal, wood and pellet), some being pretty nice. Out of all of them, my MAK has been my overall favorite :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #32
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamuzzyhunter View Post
I have been looking at the Pit Boss Austin XL. Anyone here have one or know anything about it?
I can tell you one thing, I looked it up and watched a quick video on you tube and I can tell by looking at the slider to make that a direct cooking grill that it is made by Louisiana grills. I really like that feature allot and it is identical to the same one on the Louisiana grills. The Austin XL has quite a few nice features I like. One I mentioned, also like the pellet dump which is on my Camp Chef, not to mention it has allot room. Mine is a bit smaller where I can get 3 racks on my Camp Chef, but that is about max. I have done two racks and a Boston butt and again I was pretty well maxed. That room will come in handy. The only other thing you really want to find out is if it has any big temp swings. Better grade pellets can help with that, but I am guessing that grill is made by Louisiana grills and they are a pretty good grill. I think you will be pretty happy with that grill.

I am certainly no expert on pellet grills, but some things I have learned since I bought mine is, you want all the room you can get for your dollar. Stainless steel firebox, a quick pellet dump and the option for easy direct and indirect cooking and the Pit Boss Austin XL seems to have all that and some.

It is going to be interesting in the next few years at how these grills evolve. They are light years better than even a year ago. These new options are probably going to put the gas grill industry out of business in the next 5 years. I myself have not touched my gas grill in months.

Pit Boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1lVwcDSTbI

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #33
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

The BOOM is caused by the un burnt gasses igniting.
When on the low, or smoke setting, the pellets are smoldering. Turning up the temp, causes the auger to feed more pellets on to already smoldering pellets, creating un burnt gasses. When the pellets finally ignite, the gasses also ignite, causing a explosion.

This is more likely to happen on start up if you leave the lid closed. I always open to lid during start up.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Had a yoder 640 for a year and liked it. Now have a Memphis Elite and like it. Owned and cooked on stick burners, high end gassers, kamados, and gravity feed...I am a pellet convert these days!

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #35
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post

It is going to be interesting in the next few years at how these grills evolve. They are light years better than even a year ago. These new options are probably going to put the gas grill industry out of business in the next 5 years. I myself have not touched my gas grill in months.

Pit Boss
I 100% agree with this. I believe this will be the future eventually. The main thing I like about pellet cookers is consistency in the outcome. Recipes I feel depend on that.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #36
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
I can tell you one thing, I looked it up and watched a quick video on you tube and I can tell by looking at the slider to make that a direct cooking grill that it is made by Louisiana grills. I really like that feature allot and it is identical to the same one on the Louisiana grills. The Austin XL has quite a few nice features I like. One I mentioned, also like the pellet dump which is on my Camp Chef, not to mention it has allot room. Mine is a bit smaller where I can get 3 racks on my Camp Chef, but that is about max. I have done two racks and a Boston butt and again I was pretty well maxed. That room will come in handy. The only other thing you really want to find out is if it has any big temp swings. Better grade pellets can help with that, but I am guessing that grill is made by Louisiana grills and they are a pretty good grill. I think you will be pretty happy with that grill.

Pit Boss
Yes This is a product affiliated with Louisiana Grills. The user manual has Louisiana Grill on it, along with Pit Boss.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #37
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Had a yoder 640 for a year and liked it. Now have a Memphis Elite and like it. Owned and cooked on stick burners, high end gassers, kamados, and gravity feed...I am a pellet convert these days!

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

what made you go with the Memphis elite? I like to duel feed in the Memphis so you can do two flavors at once. I would think it be hard to walk away from the Yoder!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #38
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
It will certainly be interesting to see. I don't think it will put the gasser industry out (especially if HD keeps selling $150-$200 options), but I think it will definitely take a bit of market share for those willing to spend $500 on a grill. You also have to remember, not everybody wants to smoke everything like we do. I, personally, still use my Weber a ton. Also, reliability is still very much up in the air on a lot of these new pellets. A Weber will last you 20+ years if cared for properly. If my GMG lasts me half that I'll be shocked.

However, I could be very much wrong. If Traeger or one of the others can create a brand like Yeti or UA, anything can take off.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #39
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

My Craigslist finds
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #40
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
It will certainly be interesting to see. I don't think it will put the gasser industry out (especially if HD keeps selling $150-$200 options), but I think it will definitely take a bit of market share for those willing to spend $500 on a grill. You also have to remember, not everybody wants to smoke everything like we do. I, personally, still use my Weber a ton. Also, reliability is still very much up in the air on a lot of these new pellets. A Weber will last you 20+ years if cared for properly. If my GMG lasts me half that I'll be shocked.

However, I could be very much wrong. If Traeger or one of the others can create a brand like Yeti or UA, anything can take off.
I am still waiting to see a pellet grill bearing the name WEBER! Unless I have missed it, but what is holding Weber back from making a pellet grill?

Old 04-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #41
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.

I was loading a bag of pellets in my pellet cooker that was already hot, all I heard was the pellets going into the hopper, suddenly I felt something hitting my feet, I had touched the corner of the bag to the hot grill, and a big hole opened up spilling the pellets out which I did not notice because of the sound from the pellets I was putting in the hopper. Like I said sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, although I admit there were a few swear words mixed in under my breath.
Dave

Old 04-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #42
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
I am still waiting to see a pellet grill bearing the name WEBER! Unless I have missed it, but what is holding Weber back from making a pellet grill?
They make a lot of fantastic products. They may be the best selling grill brand out there? Maybe they just wanted to keep out? Maybe they are preparing a super-grill that is pellet powered?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #43
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
They make a lot of fantastic products. They may be the best selling grill brand out there? Maybe they just wanted to keep out? Maybe they are preparing a super-grill that is pellet powered?
Honestly I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a COS by now too. Could you imagine a porcelain enamel offset lol

Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #44
stljay
On the road to being a farker

Pellet Grills are here to stay and are really versatile. But we've really only used ours for smoking or at roasting temps. If we are going to grill we almost always reverse sear and then do a quick finish on the gas grill. My GMG has been reliable and when I had trouble with the WiFi, they sent me a new controller with an external antenna and problem was solved. Their app and firmware and product continues to evolve. Their controller is rock solid and allows for plenty of smoke even pushing 300F. It's also one of the better buys for the feature set.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #45
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
Pellet Grills are here to stay and are really versatile. But we've really only used ours for smoking or at roasting temps. If we are going to grill we almost always reverse sear and then do a quick finish on the gas grill. My GMG has been reliable and when I had trouble with the WiFi, they sent me a new controller with an external antenna and problem was solved. Their app and firmware and product continues to evolve. Their controller is rock solid and allows for plenty of smoke even pushing 300F. It's also one of the better buys for the feature set.
And many pellet smokers out now can grill over direct flame. Unfortunately GMG doesn’t have that yet but it’s becoming quite common.