Picking up 26" weber kettle for $50

Great score!

Even with the # of cookers I have the 26" gets the call about 90% of the time. Love love love it.

Great suggestion actually. Not much of a difference between two baskets.

I give them a quick wipe down before each cook and the 26 is actually on its first run there.

The guy that made the suggestion owns both the 22.5" and the 26". He says he uses the same charcoal basket in either one. If I was gonna keep the 22.5" I guess it'd make sense to get the 22.5" SnS.

I have a friend that uses a vortex shoved to one side of his 26. Plenty of heat for indirect cooking and an amazing sear zone when needed. He uses less coals this way and still gets the heat that he needs for any type of cooking. And the vortex can be inverted with the wide side up for a larger sear zone.

And I do recommend the "real" vortex. The knock offs don't match up.

What do ya think of the "Bro n' Sear" mod? heh. I'm so cheap I got the kettle at a steal now I want somethign cheap to use instead of SnS :p Would kill me to pay $150 for aceesory for grill i got for $50 :p lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V1hfDBXR6A

I was gonna suggest that...I have one in one of my 26s, and I have a regular-size SnS in another one.

I didn't expect it to act the same as the SnS, and it doesn't, but I like it a lot because it increases fuel capacity and it helps save the porcelain.

Btw, I guess you'll want a cheap vortex- poortex- too? :p

Try to find a used StOk grill- those orange ones. They have a cone-shaped coal holder that works pretty well as a vortex.

I have a question about the vortex. I see that the fire is in the middle which makes sense with respect to the input vents since they are directly below but what do you do about the output vent being on one side? Do you constantly have to twist the lid every 5 minutes or so to balance things out?

I rotate the lid every 15 minutes. If you leave it in one place one side will cook faster.

I see why after only 3 years of use they gave up and sold it. The propeller was completely frozen by caked on grease mixed with ash. I had to get a scrubber, soap and hot water to get it all cleaned out. It moves now but not as smooth as I’d like, guessing to junk stuck to underside of blades. Does it come apart easy to cleaning or is it riveted?

I started a small fire in it hoping that might free it up a bit, due to heat melting any grease under blades. Cleaning it up a bit. This thing is gorgeous :)

I guess if I am gonna cook indirect in this thing I’ll be putting foil or drip pan under the meat to prevent this gunky blade problem in the future.

Forgot to mention I use a small metal putty knife and scrape the sides down into the ash holder before every cook. I started doing this after the super-hot Vortex caught some residual grease on fire and I burned off all of my arm fire trying to save my food! No problems since then.

I only used water in my slow n sear once and didn't like it. So you're not missing much. I have the 1st gen sns without the removable water pan thing. Wish I had the extra space for charcoal instead of water. I'm thinking of cutting the water barrier out of mine.

The use of water is to help stabilize temps, same concept with Weber WSM smokers.

I do. Haven't used it in a minute, but now that it is getting hot... It is perfect for small unattended cooks.

I'm happy ya still have it. I bet those 14" WSM you have are really fuel efficient. My small WSM like device is s smokey joe with side vents alogn with a tamale pan :) works well and is efficient as well.

Cooked half chicken, pork chops and hamburgers on it just now. All seasoned with Santa Maria flavor profile (salt, pepper and garlic). No sauces. So far have eaten the chops and hamburgers, they were excellent. I seared them both first just with salt, then when I moved to indirect I seasoned with black pepper and garlic powder.. worked well.

The chicken I started first of course and smoked it at 325. Threw it direct over coal sfor couple mins for some searing.

About to eat the chicken. I imagine it will taste good. Never ate a chicken just with Santa Maria seasoning before.. I'll see soon.

The Santa Maria flavoring on the chops made them taste a lot like the Tri Tip I prepare.. this is great since it's only $1.59 per pouund for the loin.. maybe $2 now.. these are older ones in my frezzer back when prices weren't crazy. The chops were very juicy unliked pan cooked. Lovet eh smoke flavor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_tnO58xuVkkOB7Ha6Iee8s2lcYTnqEGF/view?usp=sharing

P.S. Pork is such a great alternative to beef for me because of hte affordability adn great taste. I find I can't tell the difference between jerky made with beef and jerky made with thinlyl sliced pork loin. I season it the same using Alton Brown's recipe and method.. worcestershire, soy, crushed red pepper, black pepper, liquid smoke, little garlic powder, few drops of liquid stevia... then dry with a box fan directed over a stack of racks.. fan held up from counter, suspended over stacked racks, by 4 mason jars. I do have these loins frozen in freezer at just below 0 degrees F. They are frozen for at least 30 days.. but usually months.. this kills the trichinosis threat. Don't have to worry about botulism since it is no heat, lotta air. The acids and salt kill the other bacteria.

Last edited:
I have some expanded metal laying around here. I also have a grinder wheel I used for cutting the expanded metal in the past. (I have made some fire rings for DIY UDS and smokey joe charcoal baskets; where I wired the sides I made to the stock charcoal grate, and bolted the ends together.) (I had also made an expanded metal grate for my Bandera when I had it; to sit over teh actual grate to help keep small coals from falling through.)

I was thinking about making a basket out of expanded metal, tracing a partern with sharpie onto the expanded metal, then clamp it down and cut the shape. Then perhaps wire the expanded metal sides to it for now. But I do have a 15 amp welder I bought from Harbor Freight a while back which I've never used yet. I also got a welding helmet.

Would be cool if I could pull it off.. a basket of the correct shape.. without having to spend any money :)

What do you think of my DIY Smokey Joe expanded metal charcoal basket as replacement for Vortex?

CBlWmuEtuJUxPWgZy_QqkJmCYpXk22h0Z0gAYOedE1h02LJGjd3OBT5IPkN1ZUHoeHaaqqmjRXQbHe-cwq2Dswz1KZ5zfYHituRdKz9JDbhWCydJu0qbdlv2jKh3hy3l2a9w1A99glrEWOkYoupSugYmS7FSj9WTS76vzYsVgYd2PyGq6TlfWC6zz76kiSTFbsEp4Cw9L7z2lYsAxQcf63rXjj_jqKfx_L7MNEYVTUElBF30bLwq6L-Dg4XWl4nuXUPEz4c3ZJPpJELo-rhDGrNjzEEJ3rI6Vs9_M0A9BJEjCuCJrCKHHGg4yCzH0HxTXovxkHB_SyKGQu6sK6DwPJSxZuTcQE6kcXAYwl-WwjefTDQPZtln51n5fGXe70BTwSHWbXawPendb_ZaIck1yaj1CWM8y4MG9wnDjHoXDcZqe2HHZvNErqWclfOcm4ZcWLh5thMIbuwi_x-a26vmLYK0U7OmyIO26ut-N1P6gmynIblxUyGji6tNAUjrbthSkdlCGTwgKYJsfzv0AMGp-xtyEGfTlQvGrd-Xq3rMkh2-QF4gEF5r-eHkdbHhc7zbpjLoTB-ZT0W7J_wahnwgKVt19z1q-Erh9w_0CTSHNUZ1tA9VPX4kYeujGNo0YDAKWTwAXZpa5tDJ0VwkM9SO1j_bjQz_eaU1fyZ31IHz8uIrr57WGXottV0h_fpYSQ1M4HG-7FZnChXMgrcGfqhBsIM=s600-no

You're heat will dissipate since the basket is expanded metal as opposed to solid metal. The key feature of the vortex is to suppress the heat and allow out disperse through the middle opening.

Back