2 Questions

Jetwash

Found some matches.
Reaction score
All,
I'm one of those guys that run by the adage "try to learn something new every day", and I haven't found anything today :-D
So....I don't pretend to understand all of the nuances of my UDS, but I have run into an, well I guess I'll call it an issue: For most of the meat that I've done, smoke time is upwards of 8-10 hrs at 200-240, but I've never gotten that far, my internal temps say the meat is done in about half that time. My temp at both meat level and stack are bang on without variance. So my question, how do you go about prolonging the cook time?
And my second question is: has anybody used/ or are using the Vortex smoke box http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-fire-basket (or similar) and is it a good investment?
Cheers,
JW

I dont have a UDS< but I do have a hunsaker vortex drum and I love it. I have not used it without the vortex but I tend to cook at 275, and it cooks fairly fast compared to my WSm, or Rec Tec.

Most of us would accept a shorter cook time every day. Except that it does decrease the number of beers per cook.
Keep a cook log, so you can plan future cooks. Include time, temperature of the cooker and the meat, anything that comes to mind. I use a 3 ring binder, you can always remove things but it's hard to remember after the fact.

Last edited:
my internal temps say the meat is done
This my friend is your problem get rid of that stinkin thermo. it's done when its tender

You could always relegate to a crock pot:roll: If I get done in 6 hrs what take some 15 hrs to do I figure it gives me more cigar, whisky and scratchin time with a full belly while the other fellers hungry. That my fried is a win.

this my friend is your problem get rid of that stinkin thermo.
You could always relegate to a crock pot:roll: If I get done in 6 hrs what take some 15 hrs to do I figure it gives me more cigar, whisky and scratchin time with a full belly while the other fellers hungry. That my fried is a win.
IF getting done early means you sit around drinking, stinkin up the living room and scratching your belly, I think you need to take your time :becky:

IF getting done early means you sit around drinking, stinkin up the living room and scratching your belly, I think you need to take your time :becky:

Ummmmmmm....I don't think he's scratchin' his belly

I suspect your thermometer is off, or it is reading the wrong portion of your cooker. You want the temp where your meat is setting.

I'm doing large chunks of beef...in the 5-7 lbs range...according to what I've read...the cook time is 10-12 hrs with an internal finish temp of 175. I'm lucky to make 5 hrs before I get to that temp.

Time is also partially dependent on pit temp too. 175 IT at 250 degrees pit temp won't take 10-12 hours. Should take closer to 4-6 like you're seeing.

What type of beef are you cooking to 175? Just curious

I'm doing large chunks of beef...in the 5-7 lbs range...according to what I've read...the cook time is 10-12 hrs with an internal finish temp of 175. I'm lucky to make 5 hrs before I get to that temp.
Okay, where to start?

First off, most of us strive to keep our temperatures within 5 to 10 degrees of a target temperature with charcoal cookers and 15 degrees with stickburners. This actually serve a purpose, as knowing accurately where you are cooking gives you a better chance of timing your cook. When you indicate a 40°F swing, it makes me question if you really understand your cooking temperature or whether or thermos are correct.

At 240°F, and with a 5-7 pound chunk of meat, I would expect you would hit 175°F in about 3 to 3.5 hours. Push that temperature down to 225°F and for the same meats, you are looking at 175°F in 4 hours or so.

In terms of the temperature you are cooking at, other than chicken, nothing I cook as BBQ ends up that low. I have never had a brisket finish that low and for pork butts, they will not pull at that temperature.

Back