MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoking for St. Patrick's Day?

In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, I was wondering if anyone has corned and smoked a brisket? I'm looking to do a couple and just curious of others' experiences.

My understanding is that after the corning, throwing it on the smoker will make it more like a pastrami, just want to confirm.

What other suggestion would be a good fit for the smoker and keeping with the St. Patrick's Day Traditions?

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Ron View Post
What other suggestion would be a good fit for the smoker and keeping with the St. Patrick's Day Traditions?
Regardless of what you put in the smoker, drink a lot of beer while you're "tending" it...

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie View Post
Regardless of what you put in the smoker, drink a lot of beer while you're "tending" it...
Always, just has to be green right?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

A brine cured brisket and then smoked can be pastrami if you add the coriander and pepper crust before smoking it. IMHO

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Calling smoekd corned beef a pastrami is both true and false really. True pastrami flavor can only be reached by using flavorings specific to pastrami. You can take a ready to cook corned beef, add some pastrami rub to it and smoke it and that would be pastrami. However, if you do not and stick with flavorings more like corned beef, or something altogether different, really all you have is smoked corned beef IMHO.

I have made pastrami at home by curing with a dry rub with pastrami seasonings in it, bagging and flipping every other day until it was ready, then smoked it with some pastramit rub. I've also just bought corned beef flats form the store and rubbend and smoked those as well. I like my own a little better, but it is rather convenient to just buy the premade corned beef I think.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Dale in GA
On the road to being a farker

Ron,
I adapted a homemade corned beef recipe I got from Cooks Illustrated several years ago with great success. You can re-jigger the spice bill to get more of a pastrami flavor. This recipe is great for the smoker and also works stove top, and slow cooker. As Dr BBQ would say “this requires advanced preparation”…Enjoy.

Homemade Corned Beef

Beef Brisket (point or flat), 4 to 6lbs
½ cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper corns, cracked/course
¾ Tablespoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon paprika
2 bay leaves crumbled

Directions:

1. Mix salt and seasonings together
2. Prick the brisket with large fork or skewer about 30 time per side, rub both side with salt mixture. Put the brisket in a 2 gallon ziplock, forcing out the air. Better yet if you have a Foodsaver use it.
3. Place the plastic bag on a rimmed sheet pan. Place another sheet pan on top of the brisket, add two bricks or other weight to the top of the second pan. Refrigerate for 5 to 7 days, turning once each day.
4. Rinse lightly and pat dry before smoking
Notes: 1) This corned beef is not pink, the pink corned beef you buy in stores gets its color from food dye. This corned beef is light grey but comes out nicely in the smoker, you will have a nice smoke ring. 2) for more of a pastrami flavor add more pepper and paprika.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Dale in GA

Ron,
I also like Colcannon as a side with Corned Beef or Pastrami...

Colcannon
Makes 8 - 10 servings
Directions:

This is a traditional Irish potato and cabbage dish that goes very well with corned beef. While a traditional Irish dish it is a staple of Irish Halloween – but it works well during St Patty’s Day meal.

Tip:

Combined leftover colcannon with diced corned beef to make a superb corned beef hash. Substitute stock from corned beef instead of water to increase the flavour.

Lbs russet potatoes, peeled, and diced.
Small head cabbage, cored, and finely shredded
Lb smoked ham or Irish bacon, cooked, cooled, and diced.
½
Lb, Irish butter, divided.
3 or 4
Scallions, finely chopped
1 ¼
Cups, hot milk

Salt and pepper to taste

• Add diced potatoes to large sauce pan, cover with cold water add salt. Bring to a boil.
  • Boil potatoes until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Drain potatoes, return to sauce pan, shake lightly to remove all water.
  • Mash or rice potatoes, add half butter in pieces, slowly add hot milk stirring to incorporate. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
  • Boil cabbage in water for about 15 to 20 minutes, drain and chop coarsely, and return to pan.
  • Gently fold diced cabbage, ham, and scallions, to mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately. If making to serve later, turn out colcannon into baking pan, keep warm in oven at 170 degrees.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the input everyone, definitely gets some ideas going.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Ron View Post
Always, just has to be green right?
Um....

NO!!!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

It'll be the regular boiled dinner for us. My wife let's me do that once a year and I'm not about to skip a year.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Jersey Joe

Traditionally the Irish boil back bacon with potatoes and cabbage.

The whole corned beef for Saint Patrick's day thing is an American invention from the pubs of New York and Boston (cheap eats for the masses).

Maybe someone would like to cure/smoke some back bacon to go with their cabbage. (you could even use the leftovers for "rashers" with your eggs the next morning.)
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
Traditionally the Irish boil back bacon with potatoes and cabbage.

The whole corned beef for Saint Patrick's day thing is an American invention from the pubs of New York and Boston (cheap eats for the masses).

Maybe someone would like to cure/smoke some back bacon to go with their cabbage. (you could even use the leftovers for "rashers" with your eggs the next morning.)
I like this idea always good to have breakfast as well... Looks like I'll be heading to Jungle Jim's this weekend.