My New Q

L

Lone-BBQ

I just bought, for fifty bucks, my newest BBQ. It is on offset and I have yet to use it.
What are some tips for setting this up? Should I add some bricks to the space where the firebox and grill area meet. Any links to old post? Anything will help and thanks in advance!
J

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 498
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 491
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 489
Yep, that's a New Braunfels allright. You can do some good stuff on those. Requires a bit of attention. Check out those mods, they help a LOT!:cool:

I have one almost like it also and the mods will help have fun with it.

I see there is a rotisserie bracket on the side. I wonder if a Rib-o-Lator would fit inside? That would eliminate the need for mods.

I see there is a rotisserie bracket on the side. I wonder if a Rib-o-Lator would fit inside? That would eliminate the need for mods.

Thats a good idea, I will have to measure. And find a rod long enough. Any ideas on that??
J

How long is the one for your gasser? You may have to remove the inner smoke stack to make it work. Check your local hardware store for grill parts, maybe they can order one long enough. I have the same offset, but don't have the bracket. I will have to check and see if the holes are there for one.

How long is the one for your gasser? You may have to remove the inner smoke stack to make it work. Check your local hardware store for grill parts, maybe they can order one long enough. I have the same offset, but don't have the bracket. I will have to check and see if the holes are there for one.
I believe it is 32" and it barely fits too unfortunately. It works but...well it works.
I will check out the hardware store, I want to do some mods, baffle etc before cooking.

I have a Homemade one that a friend just gave me, I'm glad you started this thread Bro' Lone BBQ!!!! I have already saved that PDF Mod

That's a great score! I've cooked on the one HawgsNHeifers has and it's a lot like the Brinkmann SNP Pro. It's just like any other tool, the more you use it, the more you will learn it and the better the results you will get. The mods are almost required for your own sanity.

NB Silver

I don't want to rub it in (OK just a little) but I got mine given to me. Your handles look like they're about the same shape mine were in. They will crumble soon. I had some left-over 2X2 CCA deck balusters that I cut down to make replacements. I sanded the edges to round them, it worked pretty good.

Compared to some of the junk offset smokers being sold today, $50 is a steal. My buddy just spent $250 on one from Sams (AKA China), that's stamped from sheetmetal. He'll be replacing it in 2 - 3 years I'm sure. Our NB's should last for decades.

Be sure and post some pics of the maiden voyage. This is the only one I have of mine.

Bartstop

Attachments

• NB.jpg
    NB.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 284
Thanks for all the great posts guys, I found some scraps that I can use for the stack and the baffle mods and am really thinking that the charcoal basket is a really good idea for less maintenance on long cooks.
I should have a fun weekend!

I don't want to rub it in (OK just a little) but I got mine given to me. Your handles look like they're about the same shape mine were in. They will crumble soon. I had some left-over 2X2 CCA deck balusters that I cut down to make replacements. I sanded the edges to round them, it worked pretty good.

Compared to some of the junk offset smokers being sold today, $50 is a steal. My buddy just spent $250 on one from Sams (AKA China), that's stamped from sheetmetal. He'll be replacing it in 2 - 3 years I'm sure. Our NB's should last for decades.

Be sure and post some pics of the maiden voyage. This is the only one I have of mine.

Bartstop

I gotta do that shelf; that you have your charcoal chimney on. That will end up saving my deck in the summer. Right now I put mine in an old fire pit I keep by the Q. Dangerous!
Will do on the maiden voyage, I am thinking Ribs.
J

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta do that shelf; that you have your charcoal chimney on. That will end up saving my deck in the summer. Right now I put mine in an old fire pit I keep by the Q. Dangerous!
Will do on the maiden voyage, I am thinking Ribs.
J

I noticed yours didn't have that shelf. Slightly different model maybe?

Anyways, one thing you'll notice is that you can't put your meat anywhere near the firebox, it get's way too much heat on that side. I'm going to do the baffle described in the PDF posted above. Hopefully that will give me a little more useable cooking surface.

It doesn't seem like the other 2 mods (chimney and thermometer) would make much difference.

Anyhow, let us know how the ribs turn out.

Bartstop

Back