MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
SmokeUSum
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Salts???

So I'm outta salt and I've got a beautiful butt that needs to be prepped in the fridge. I've been working on my own rubs and just wanted other opinions on the best salt for rubs. I've been using kosher for quite a while and been fairly pleased. I brought back a few salts from Maui this summer, by they are too salty?! I can't remember the last time I actually bought regular iodized table salt.

Stick with the kosher? Thoughts? What do you use? Do you use different ones for different meats?
SmokeUSum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I stick with kosher for rubs with one exception of some Sriracha salt that a friend sent me.

You can try the salts from Maui but if they were expensive they will probably get lost in the rub. It ay be better to use those for finishing salts.

If you need salt for the butt today you can give it a coat of Worcestershire or soy before rubbing.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

On butts sometime all I use as a good hand full of table salt and in the smoke it goes. I do like to use Kosher salt in rubs.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Yep, I would stick with Kosher as well.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
noclss2000
On the road to being a farker

kosher salt all the way.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
SmokeUSum
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!
Hahaha! Well, darn, there goes that idea!!!

Thanks gang, y'all confirmed I was doin' the right thing. I'll be pickin' up a box o' Kosher while I'm out and about today.
SmokeUSum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Hey I resemble that remark.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Gettinit
On the road to being a farker

A friend just gave me some smoked sea salt. Not sure what to do with it yet.
Gettinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
A friend just gave me some smoked sea salt. Not sure what to do with it yet.
Next time you do a nice thick cut steak or roast, after you slice it, lightly sprinkle some of the smoked salt over it and enjoy it.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Redmond kosher salt and trader joes fine sea salt which isn't very fine perfect for rubs.

I personally did not have good results with Morton's kosher salt.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

Baleine Sea Salt

Last edited by joemat; 12-25-2014 at 06:46 PM..
joemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use Kosher salt, and in fact, just one brand, as that prevents surprises. My choice is Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt.

The Hawaiian salt can't be too salty, all sodium chloride salt is 97% identical, sodium chloride. But, the grind makes a big difference. Measure by weight is the best idea.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.
Don't tell the salt fanatics, who pay big bucks for gourmet salts. I have a few friends who will argue to death with you over NaCl. I agree with you -- when mixed with other ingredients of a rub, any subtle differences are lost. I keep sea salt, kosher salt, and table salt (not iodized) around. I can taste subtle differences of various salts due to minerality (as evidenced by the different colors). I can't tell any difference when in a rub. Maybe a supertaster can, but not me. I'd like to see double blind studies from those who advocate otherwise. NaCl, it's what's for dinner.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pork, rub, salt