• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Done with the stick burners

My first cook back using charcoal/chunks and I had my easiest and best cook ever. and I remembered why the UDS is amazing.

10 lb pork butt- no injection, no spritz, no foil, just a basic rub.
put on at midnight, went to bed, woke up and took the kids to breakfast, came back and adjusted vents a little, went back out and ran a couple of errands, did some grocery shopping with the family and then finally came back home.

Came back home and the butt was done- 207° and 11.5 hours in the cooker.
best thing was it had awesome bark, was falling apart tender and amazingly moist, and the aroma was simply gorgeous.

Imo, this is how cooking should be :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_115440732_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171216_115440732_HDR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20171216_120005.jpg
    20171216_120005.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 129
My first cook back using charcoal/chunks and I had my easiest and best cook ever. and I remembered why the UDS is amazing.

Imagine how much better it would be if you cooked it on an offset! :thumb: Just kidding!! Well, not really but...oh forget it. Its like the movie Groundhog Day where we just start the whole thing over.

Not everyone can or wants to cook on a stick burner, it's more of an art form that requires time and dedication.
The only thing important about doing Q as a hobby is that you enjoy doing it.
Doesn't matter what type cooker your using as long as you are happy with the results.

Larry

10 lb pork butt- no injection, no spritz, no foil, just a basic rub.
put on at midnight, went to bed, woke up and took the kids to breakfast, came back and adjusted vents a little, went back out and ran a couple of errands, did some grocery shopping with the family and then finally came back home.

Came back home and the butt was done- 207° and 11.5 hours in the cooker.
best thing was it had awesome bark, was falling apart tender and amazingly moist, and the aroma was simply gorgeous.

Imo, this is how cooking should be :thumb:

Looks like it came out great! :thumb:

I guess that is understandable to want an easy bake cooker. I use my gas smoker when I test rubs or don't have time to tend to the charcoal or fire. But on another note, I also don't take pride in and call the food my own when I make Kraft Mac N' Cheese for my kids. Everyone is different :becky:

I guess that is understandable to want an easy bake cooker. I use my gas smoker when I test rubs or don't have time to tend to the charcoal or fire. But on another note, I also don't take pride in and call the food my own when I make Kraft Mac N' Cheese for my kids. Everyone is different :becky:

Hahaha. Someone who didn't know you were building a mother uds(110 gallon) would think that was a dig against charcoal.

But I know you are joking else you wouldn't be building that humongous easy bake lol :thumb:

Getcha. I've got a PBC for the emulation, couple of kettles when I wanna go nuclear hot, two big gassers when time's tight and a little Q-gasser cause it's cute. When I get the kids out the house and off the payroll (I suspect that won't happen), there's an offset in my future. Fantasy's about an SF or LSG but, it'll likely be a little Meadow Creek, they're close and I can flip it if it ain't my thing. Do whatcha whatcha whatcha want! ;> MFC!

Back