• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Running a kettle overnight…

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Wondering who’s done overnight low n slows on a Weber kettle… successfully… with little to no intervention… with no auto temp control unit… and seen fairly stable temps. If you have done it, especially if you do it regularly, I’d love to hear the details of your setup :)

I've ran 8-10 hrs. on the snake method many of times.

Hardly any fluctuation in temp at all, Robb.

What sized kettle? 2x2 snake, or?? Vent settings (approx)? Inquiring minds wanna know, buddy.

I've only ran a snake on a kettle a couple of times- and only for ribs. Did it for no other reason than to try something "different" from plopping them on the UDS. it worked great for the 4 hours or so it took- but it was not "hands off". I was advised to rotate the meat (or the grate) to keep the fat end of the ribs pointed towards the active hot coals- and even to shield that end with some tin foil if needed. . So ever so often, I'd have to pull the lid and "re-aim" my meat. Not sure I'd want to do that for an overnight cook- or even DO an overnight cook- period. (It's not on my bucket list at all)

Last edited:
Wondering who’s done overnight low n slows on a Weber kettle… successfully… with little to no intervention… with no auto temp control unit… and seen fairly stable temps. If you have done it, especially if you do it regularly, I’d love to hear the details of your setup :)

Why would you want to do that? I hear those newfangled pellet cookers are the "bees knees"

Ditto, on my 22”. I start by placing a disposable round aluminum pan in the center, filled with water and a lemon or two if my tree has any. Then I stack the briqs around the perimeter of the kettle. It’s something like a 2-2-1 stack, although I have done different stacks and all seem to work. Just make sure the briqs are tight and evenly spaced. I then place some wood chunks along the top of the stacks similar sized to the briqs every 5-6 inches or so. Make sure you leave enough place from the start of the snake to dump 10 or so hot coals on one end so the snake only can go one way. The nice thing about a snake like this, is that you can conceivable add to it continuously. 8-10 hours seems about right for the 22” kettle. I usually aim for 250 degrees and it hovers around their pretty well. It won’t be exact like something with a temp controller, but decent enough. For something like pork butts, this works surprisingly well. Briskets are really too big to fit on a 22”, and I don’t have a 26”. Once humming along, you really shouldn’t have to touch it. Vents are maybe a quarter open on the bottom if memory serves me right. Maybe half open at the top, but I haven’t done it for awhile, and don’t remember. It’s not hard dialing it in though.

Last edited:
I’ve done the snake around a pan in the middle and got 4-5 hours out of it if I remember right. It’s been a few years but i remember being pretty happy with it.

Ditto, on my 22”. I start by placing a disposable round aluminum pan in the center, filled with water and a lemon or two if my tree has any. Then I stack the briqs around the perimeter of the kettle. It’s something like a 2-2-1 stack, although I have done different stacks and all seem to work. Just make sure the briqs are tight and evenly spaced. I then place some wood chunks along the top of the stacks similar sized to the briqs every 5-6 inches or so. Make sure you leave enough place from the start of the snake to dump 10 or so hot coals on one end so the snake only can go one way. The nice thing about a snake like this, is that you can conceivable add to it continuously. 8-10 hours seems about right for the 22” kettle. I usually aim for 250 degrees and it hovers around their pretty well. It won’t be exact like something with a temp controller, but decent enough. For something like pork butts, this works surprisingly well. Briskets are really too big to fit on a 22”, and I don’t have a 26”. Once humming along, you really shouldn’t have to touch it. Vents are maybe a quarter open on the bottom if memory serves me right. Maybe half open at the top, but I haven’t done it for awhile, and don’t remember. It’s not hard dialing it in though.

Awesome info… thank you!

Why would you want to do that? I hear those newfangled pellet cookers are the "bees knees"

Variety is the spice of life buddy… and yeah, rumor has it those newfangled pellet munchers are the real deal. Perhaps one day I’ll find out… lol.

Never tried overnight Robb, i have another tool for that. 6-8 hrs is my max on the kettles

Never tried overnight Robb, i have another tool for that. 6-8 hrs is my max on the kettles

… being I run on 6ish hours of sleep a night, sounds like an overnight would be very doable on a kettle :)

I once ran my kettle for a tailgate brisket from 60 miles away. Wanted to go to a concert that night:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here Yes!
Cheating! Lol!

I completely agree and with Chester and Pat. No problem going 8 plus hours with that method.

So ever so often, I'd have to pull the lid and "re-aim" my meat.

:icon_blush: :icon_blush: :icon_blush:

Sorry, Robb. Got busy last night.

Chester hit the nail on the head. I use the exact same method.

It works.

Back