MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
MFL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Pat
Default Brisket Advise

Need some advise on the brisket cooks. I have only cooked about 10 in my BBQ life so learning all the time. I have tried hot & fast and also 225 deg. I have used my Shirley and also LSG IVC. I always tried hot & fast with my Shirley because I had to continue feeding sticks and baby sit the cook. Now that I am cooking on the LSG IVC I usually cook through the night as it holds temps incredibly well and allows us to eat dinner at a normal time without me starting real early or through the night.
My question is in regards to finish temperature or probe tender. I totally get the probe tender and my briskets have been awesome. Very happy with how they are turning out but wondering if they can be better. What I am seeing is my briskets get to about 196-198 and they probe like butter. I consider them done. But the last 2 cooks I let them go to see if they get even better. I am seeing my temps drop to around 180-190 even after an additional 2-3 hours. I also don't think they get better by the probe like butter method.
Am just not letting them go long enough? If I am cooking at 225 degree will they never get to 203 degree internally? Should I quit worrying about the internal temp of the meat? They cut fantastic, have a nice bark and pass the pull test perfectly.
MFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Answered it yourself. Stop looking at temps other than a tool to know when to start probing. Might also want to rest/hold longer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
CALWLDLIF
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

check your thermometer
CALWLDLIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
MFL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Pat

thanks for the feedback guys.
MFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I will add that 203 isn't magic. If you're happy with what you described as "pass the pull test perfectly" then maybe it ain't broke...
Give yourself the credit you deserve.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you get probe tender and you’re totally happy with the results when you use that as your guide, I’m not seeing the problem. If anyone pulls a brisket at 203* it’s completely dumb luck if it’s also perfectly cooked when slicing IMO. This “203*” thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

If you cook at 225* long enough your brisket will eventually reach 225*, it just takes incrementally longer the closer the IT gets to the cooker temp. I don’t see any reason your IT would ever drop after the stall when it cools because of evaporative effect on the surface.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #7
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

The hold is we’re the magic happens!
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
BBQButler
Got Wood.

Hold wrapped I’m foil and towel in cooler for 3-5 hours. I used cambro now how\tel pan wrapped in foil

Old 10-26-2021, 05:03 AM   #9
IamMadMan

I use Bludawg's method
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...90&postcount=4
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #10
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

I’m thinking of cooking to 190 next go round and then wrapping in plastic wrap and hold at 180 for atleast 6 hours.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote