Success with a Chud Boat Brisket

WhitesideJC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Like many others, I've been enjoying Bradley's videos on YouTube (Chud BBQ). I've seen more and more references to the Chud Boat approach, and I managed to take yesterday off work, fire the Shirley, and get a brisket going.

I thought the outcome was fantastic and one of the better briskets I've cooked. The one ancillary benefit that I really appreciated was the easy access towards then end of the cook to assess whether it was ready to come off the pit vs. needed more time. I feel like I'm often fumbling around with unwrapping / rewrapping with butcher paper, and ultimately I can't imagine that is good for the cook.

Anyways, just thought I'd share, especially since there was a tangential benefit that I didn't really think of until I was actually executing the Chud Boat.

Attachments

• brisket 1.jpg
    brisket 1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 251
  • brisket 2.jpg
    brisket 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 248
  • brisket 3.jpg
    brisket 3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 247
Health issues have kept me from cooking but when I'm better gonna a brisket this way.

First time I've really seen the "boat" approach, what am I missing, how is that any different than cooking it in a pan? I can usually get aluminum foil pans that hug a brisket pretty tight (they come in all shapes and sizes). Is this just a cheaper way to do the same thing, or am I missing something?

I just recently found his channel and it's really got me into live fire cooking. So much so that I'm about to start my own upright vertical/ live fire cooker build.

First time I've really seen the "boat" approach, what am I missing, how is that any different than cooking it in a pan? I can usually get aluminum foil pans that hug a brisket pretty tight (they come in all shapes and sizes). Is this just a cheaper way to do the same thing, or am I missing something?

Honestly what drew me to it is my poor job at wrapping briskets with Butcher Paper. I don't know why, but I never seem to get it right - and then ultimately I lose any juices due to the bad wrap job. My butcher paper NEVER looks like what you see from others, where it's just sopping in juice.

But, I know the drawbacks behind wrapping in foil, which this boat method really seemed to be a good fit for me, personally.

I like it as well. I've never gotten good results with butcher paper part of me wonders if it's cooking at high altitude. Having easy access to probe everything with the boat is great.

Like many others, I've been enjoying Bradley's videos on YouTube (Chud BBQ). I've seen more and more references to the Chud Boat approach, and I managed to take yesterday off work, fire the Shirley, and get a brisket going.

I thought the outcome was fantastic and one of the better briskets I've cooked. The one ancillary benefit that I really appreciated was the easy access towards then end of the cook to assess whether it was ready to come off the pit vs. needed more time. I feel like I'm often fumbling around with unwrapping / rewrapping with butcher paper, and ultimately I can't imagine that is good for the cook.

Anyways, just thought I'd share, especially since there was a tangential benefit that I didn't really think of until I was actually executing the Chud Boat.

But There’s a Snake in his Boot!!!

Back