MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

Default Pit Barrel Cooker

After reading all of the back and forth regarding the Pit Barrel Cooker I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

I went ahead and ordered one to add some additional smoking capacity to my back deck, and the $104 off coupon code sealed the deal. The cooker arrived a few days ago (4 days after ordering), and it is a quality product. Well made, well packaged, and easy to set up.

For my fist cook I prepared Tri Tip. It was very good. Not the best I've ever made, but very tasty.

Last night I cooked two chicken halves and it was the best chicken I've ever made. Very tender, juicy and flavorful.

This weekend will be ribs (with pron).

I realize that this cooker isn't for everyone, but it definitely fills a niche in my backyard.

It's very simple to use and so far my results have been great. For me it will be my go-to chicken cooker, and for that alone it was worth the investment.
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking forward to the photos. I too ordered a PBC and it is enroute. Looking forward to some swinging chicken.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
After reading all of the back and forth regarding the Pit Barrel Cooker I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

I went ahead and ordered one to add some additional smoking capacity to my back deck, and the $104 off coupon code sealed the deal. The cooker arrived a few days ago (4 days after ordering), and it is a quality product. Well made, well packaged, and easy to set up.

For my fist cook I prepared Tri Tip. It was very good. Not the best I've ever made, but very tasty.

Last night I cooked two chicken halves and it was the best chicken I've ever made. Very tender, juicy and flavorful.

This weekend will be ribs (with pron).

I realize that this cooker isn't for everyone, but it definitely fills a niche in my backyard.

It's very simple to use and so far my results have been great. For me it will be my go-to chicken cooker, and for that alone it was worth the investment.
Can you elaborate on this a bit more. I know you can cook pretty much anything on it, but I've seen how people produce some great chicken with it. How would you compare the results you got on the chicken between the PBC and your other smoker?

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba

Been MIA for a while.
I dont see a thermo in this thing.
Can i safely say its more of a grille than a smoker?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Been MIA for a while.
I dont see a thermo in this thing.
Can i safely say its more of a grille than a smoker?
In what I've read, the intake is set for it to acheive a specific temp/temp range. Those temps are in the smoking range.

Has anyone tracked the temps it reaches with where the intake is set right out of the box? Has anyone opened up the intake a bit more and achieved higher temps with it?
I'm very intrigued by it. Something I'd like to try for sure.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm sure the temps can also vary somewhat depending on the outdoor ambient temp. But they're all within ideal cooking temp range for most types of cooks.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
BobBrisket

Okay, let's not go there again. We've discussed the whole "I can build something else for less" talk in other PBC threads. Some people can build stuff, others can't. Let's keep it on topic. AND let's discuss the merits of the cooker itself. I'm speaking for all the Mods when I say we are done with the "It's a UDS, It's NOT a UDS, It's too much to pay, routine. Let's keep it OT.

Thread scrubbed.

Bob

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

I cook a lot of chicken because my wife prefers it. However, I would like to see a full packer done on this. I really fancy brisket. I have one on order. Really curious and anxious. You can get $100 chipped off the price...see their website. Plus if your law enforcement or military they give you a discount there also. But not both. The $100 off is for a limited time only. Just called them--cool people!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Where do you go to get the $104 off coupon code?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Okay, let's not go there again. We've discussed the whole "I can build something else for less" talk in other PBC threads. Some people can build stuff, others can't. Let's keep it on topic. AND let's discuss the merits of the cooker itself. I'm speaking for all the Mods when I say we are done with the "It's a UDS, It's NOT a UDS, It's too much to pay, routine. Let's keep it OT.

Thread scrubbed.

Bob
Wait. What? This thread is only ONE HOUR old!!! I too have been very intrigued with this particular cooker and have considered it for purchase.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris92 View Post

Thanks
Create a free account at grilling.com

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris92 View Post

Thanks
Sign up on Grilling.com and the first coupon they give you is the discount for the Pit Barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
In what I've read, the intake is set for it to acheive a specific temp/temp range. Those temps are in the smoking range.

Has anyone tracked the temps it reaches with where the intake is set right out of the box? Has anyone opened up the intake a bit more and achieved higher temps with it?
I'm very intrigued by it. Something I'd like to try for sure.

Bob
Bob, I've stuck a Turkey fry thermo in mine and at the rebar it was running about 275 with an ambient temp of 32. The heat of the summer would very likely bump that up to 300 to 325, which is still a very usable temp as far as Qing goes. I think of it as a fast smoker/slow griller.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I received mine about 10 days ago. I have only cooked on it once and that was 4 chicken halves. Mine settled in at 255-260 with the preset intake. After I had taken the chicken off the pit I opened the intake maybe 1/4". About 15 minutes later the temp was 275. I didn't do any more testing than that.
I am pretty much at sea level since I am only 15 miles from Gulf coast and the temp outside that day was around 70 degrees. The last sentence is only for those that think that info is pertinent.
Chicken was moist and juicy. I used the rub they sent with the pit and I glazed the chicken with Texas Pepper Jelly rib candy pineapple habanero mixed with Blues hog Tennesse red sauce. I liked the construction and quality of the pit. I did miss having a temp gauge on it but using my Maverick worked just fine. I plan on cooking some ribs on it next to see about hanging meat closer to charcoal basket and seeing if it works like others have said.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Sign up on Grilling.com and the first coupon they give you is the discount for the Pit Barrel.

Bob, I've stuck a Turkey fry thermo in mine and at the rebar it was running about 275 with an ambient temp of 32. The heat of the summer would very likely bump that up to 300 to 325, which is still a very usable temp as far as Qing goes. I think of it as a fast smoker/slow griller.
So 275 was with the vent left at the manufacture's setting? By chance did you open it up a bit more to see if it would get hotter? I'm sure it would. As for ambient temp, that's a big factor too.

Here's another situation that crossed my mind. I'm not a Q Comp person. I grill/smoke for friends, neighbors, and my family. Being that chicken is that one category that gives Comp folks the fits, anyone here have a PBS that could justify, etc using in a Comp?

I closely read Patio's write up on his blog about the PBC. From the packaging to the the overall attention to detail that I could get from the pics, it looks to be worth the money. Course, pics are one thing. I'd really like to hear more about the performance and quality from those of you that have purchased one.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
I received mine about 10 days ago. I have only cooked on it once and that was 4 chicken halves. Mine settled in at 255-260 with the preset intake. After I had taken the chicken off the pit I opened the intake maybe 1/4". About 15 minutes later the temp was 275. I didn't do any more testing than that.
I am pretty much at sea level since I am only 15 miles from Gulf coast and the temp outside that day was around 70 degrees. The last sentence is only for those that think that info is pertinent.
Chicken was moist and juicy. I used the rub they sent with the pit and I glazed the chicken with Texas Pepper Jelly rib candy pineapple habanero mixed with Blues hog Tennesse red sauce. I liked the construction and quality of the pit. I did miss having a temp gauge on it but using my Maverick worked just fine. I plan on cooking some ribs on it next to see about hanging meat closer to charcoal basket and seeing if it works like others have said.
Even chicken halves will hang off the hook quite a bit. Did you notice any excessive charring on the part that was closest to the coals. Good point, a therm can be added several ways I'm sure.

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker