MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #7606
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I'm waiting on a baby brisket in your PBJ.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #7607
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luberconn View Post
i've been using my PBC but haven't posted in a while. Thanksgiving turkey was a success again.
This is for everyone that's done a Turkey, but are you somehow saving drippings to make your gravy? The vaporizing drippings are a big part of PBC flavor, but particularly with Thanksgiving turkey, the drippings are important for the gravy.
PNWSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #7608
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I'm waiting on a baby brisket in your PBJ.
Absolutely! I should easily be able to do about a 10lb-er.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #7609
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSmoke View Post
This is for everyone that's done a Turkey, but are you somehow saving drippings to make your gravy? The vaporizing drippings are a big part of PBC flavor, but particularly with Thanksgiving turkey, the drippings are important for the gravy.
I haven't but you can def collect the drippings. An upside down turkey rack on the fire basket with the grill grate on top. Just drop a disposable pan in and you're in business. I've smoked in the PBC with a deflector in place with positive results on numerous occasions so there is no obstruction to the flow of air.

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #7610
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Still having issues with my PBC now whereas it was very set and forget previously. Did a pork butt and a brisket yesterday and they turned out being a bit dry with the brisket seeming to be overcooked. PBC seems to be cooking at a higher temp than before and I still notice smoke coming out from under the lid in spots as opposed to only out of the rebar holes.

I used BP for the first time so maybe my hold didn't take...I just wrapped it in more paper as opposed to moving it into foil. Should I have moved it into foil? Held them wrapped in more BP and a towel for an hour and half...definitely not as hot when unwrapping out of foil.

This is frustrating because I'm having a bunch of people over next Saturday but the PBC isn't locked in like it used to be. Already bought a brisket for the event but now I'm thinking I should just pull the Blackstone 36 out and make tacos since I won't screw that up.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #7611
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

King, are you running a thermometer to really know what your temps are? I occasionally adjust my intake keep the PBC in a range where I like it if it runs too hot or too cold. Also, are you monitoring the IT of the meat with a therm during the cook? I know people say you can run without but if you're having issues it may be best to go back to the basics.

I'd get some KBB, start with the original instructions Noah suggests, count out your 40 briquettes and see where it runs.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #7612
ssv3

BK,

I don't think hotter temps will hurt big cuts like butts and brisket. Like Sportster said, maybe back to basics just to double check things and put some kind of thermo to monitor temps.

As for the brisket in question;

Did you let it vent prior to the rest?

Did you rest in a cooler or just double wrapped in BP and the towel only?

Finally, how many layers of BP did you use? Reason I ask is sometimes too many layers of BP will act as insulation especially that it sits looser than foil and roast the brisket.

My technique (regardless of the cooker)

1. Cook the brisket to the color I like (usually 170-180)

2. Wrap in BP or foil

3. When probe tender, remove and vent the brisket for 5-10 mins until there is no
visible steam

4. (a) if wrapped in foil, cover it back up and into the Cambro or cooler

(b) if in BP, remove from the BP and put in foil, wrap it tight and again Cambro or
cooler

5. Rest for minimum of 1 hour but I average 2-5 hours. I usually give myself ample time
for the rest and sometimes the brisket is done way too fast but a non-issue because it
can rest for a long time when done properly.

Hope it helps.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #7613
hs106
Got Wood.

Default Temps and Vent Control

I use a sheet magnet to adjust the vent opening because I find that ambient temperature plays a big part in trying to hit a target temp. I like smoking fish at 200-225, but chicken needs 270-325 or so and 1/4 or 1/2 open on the vent doesn't do it (especially holding the number of coals in the chimney to start constant). For the life of me, I don't know how anyone is able to get 275-325 with a full (40 coals) load of KBB. When I did that, I was getting 400+ -- and God forbid I opened the lid-- I'd get a China Syndrome thing going!

Someone a few pages back did some handy sheet metal cutting to come up with a sliding vent cover. Noah-- you should definitely offer that as an after market add-on.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #7614
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSmoke View Post

no drippings. that's about the biggest downside. but as SSK posted, looks like there are options. we still had fresh gravy however. my best friend cooked his in his Traeger and he had all of his drippings. i can hands down say my turkey was superior over his. but i think he overcooked his a bit, so it was more user error than the cooking method. but my turkey had basically no left overs, and there was still plenty of his left over.

Last edited by luberconn; 12-12-2017 at 10:53 AM..
luberconn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #7615
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the replies, guys. I always use KBB and counted out the 40. I don't monitor the cooker temp but I have a Thermopop that I've used since my first cook.

I wrapped in the BP at like 165 IT and pulled at what appeared to be 195 IT but that may have been the point and the flat may have been hotter already since it wound up being dry.

I probably wrapped it in two more sheets of BP and then a towel. My usual way would be to wrap in two sheets of HD foil at 170-175, pull at 200 and then wrap in another sheet of foil and one beach towel. Hold for two hours, if possible. Great results every time.

I was just locked in on the cooker doing things the same way and now that same way doesn't work as well anymore, or so it seems. The smoke escaping from the lid when it never did before is my major concern.

I was thinking that I'm probably just a bonehead though. This was a 10# brisket before trimming when I usually do a 13# before trimming. Butt was maybe 6.5# when I'm usually in the #7.5 range. Possible I should have adjusted my times down to adjust for the smaller cuts. I find that the Thermopop is a great guide but the temp it gives me doesn't always equate to probe tender. It is especially hard to get an accurate reading throughout a brisket when it is hanging down so far in the pit with the flat being the furthest away and the most susceptible to drying out.

Regardless, I'm not throwing in the towel and will be doing a brisket and a butt for the big party on Saturday. I'm just going to go back to the foil and play around with the BP on my own time. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #7616
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck, BK. Can’t wait to see how it goes. I’m sure even your mistakes are yummy.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #7617
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Hey, I’m going to have a friendly competition with my wife. We like chicken kabobs. She’s going to cook some on her gasser, and I’m going to try them (for the first time) on the PBC. Anybody done that? I’m going to skewer them (1-1/2 inch cubes). Any guidance on timing of those? I’m guessing about 20 minutes.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #7618
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Still having issues with my PBC now whereas it was very set and forget previously. Did a pork butt and a brisket yesterday and they turned out being a bit dry with the brisket seeming to be overcooked. PBC seems to be cooking at a higher temp than before and I still notice smoke coming out from under the lid in spots as opposed to only out of the rebar holes.

I used BP for the first time so maybe my hold didn't take...I just wrapped it in more paper as opposed to moving it into foil. Should I have moved it into foil? Held them wrapped in more BP and a towel for an hour and half...definitely not as hot when unwrapping out of foil.

This is frustrating because I'm having a bunch of people over next Saturday but the PBC isn't locked in like it used to be. Already bought a brisket for the event but now I'm thinking I should just pull the Blackstone 36 out and make tacos since I won't screw that up.
Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I saw this post and figured I'd chime in. I picked up a BBQ guru for my PBC and I must say that having truly consistent temps has noticeably increased the quality of my cooks! The only complaint I had about the PBC was the inability to truly cook at lower temps when I wanted to. The BBQ guru changed all that.

I still have the same startup procedure but after I get everything going, I hook up the BBQ guru and temps settle in to the around the temp that I set the guru at and they hover at about 5 degrees of the number I set. I feel like it's almost cheating now because its almost impossible to screw something up now!

I've even tried the startup procedure used with other UDSs where you just drop one or two wax cubes directly into the coal basket and that worked as well. The fan just blew until it got near the temp I set and then it's blows intermittently to hold temps near that number.

BigKing, I would suggest monitoring cooker temps and try to keep temps as steady as possible, which shouldn't be too hard with the PBC. It should just settle in around 275-285 and cruise there throughout the cook. The more consistent you can keep your cooker temps, the better the outcome. Hope this helps! :)
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #7619
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Hey, I’m going to have a friendly competition with my wife. We like chicken kabobs. She’s going to cook some on her gasser, and I’m going to try them (for the first time) on the PBC. Anybody done that? I’m going to skewer them (1-1/2 inch cubes). Any guidance on timing of those? I’m guessing about 20 minutes.
You're spot on! Try running the PBC as hot as you can by slighty cracking the lid. Keep an eye on it and if you see flames close the lid, once the flames go out crack it back up again... so on and so forth until done. It's a short cook so it won't be annoying keeping your eye on it. That escapes the condensation in the barrel and you get the flame grilled effect with a nice crust. You'll put your wife to shame I guarantee
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #7620
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Sako! Poor lady won’t know what hit her! Prob’ly have to buy her some flowers...

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it