MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Lightbulb • Some Photography Help... (White Balance)

Hey everyone!
Been thinking about how to get our members more at ease about sharing what they're Q'in at home. It's pretty obvious that the better you feel about the pictures you're taking is the more comfortable you'd feel about posting and sharing them. I'm positive that many members just don't share what they've cooked because they don't think the pictures do their food justice.

Just on a side note...within the last couple weeks I think we've thoroughly flogged the fact that pics (Pr0n) is not mandatory by any means, and I fully back that up. BUT... food is such an amazingly sensory delight that having nice images of what your cooking or posting about really makes it that much better... at least for me, I ain't gonna lie. I'd be the first to admit that I go overboard with the pics sometimes. It's just that I enjoy creating them and I honestly think that half the time they aren't too bad and are worthy of sharing... I've been lucky enough to have a photography background and having that helps a lot with the pictures I take.

I think I've done a lot of typing already and I'll try get to my point. I thought i'd start a thread to share some info on photography for the brethren... A little "Photography 101" if you will

This stuff was collected around the net, and I have done it in a way to include the author, but I really just grabbed them to share.

I think one of the biggest killer of images (ESPECIALLY food pics) is white balance. When the white balance in your camera is off food looks either too warm & muddy or too cold & blue. To shed a little light on the subject I found 2 articles to share with you guys that if you don't know about can help dramatically in how your food looks on the screen. **Please take special note of the custom white balance feature in these articles if your camera allows it** Here goes.

Here's another nice one on White balance:

And here's a nice one on food photography, It's a little on the professional side of what I'm willing to do just to share some snapshots of food with my friends online but never the less its cool to know:

Well I really hope this helps some of us here and hopefully we will see some new (and old) members starting to share their food and ideas and feel good about showing it off.

***Please feel free to add to this post if you have any good information on photography in general.

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Great info.

There's also a "tips" thread in the Throwdown forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96575

Thanks for the posts. I'm on who knows his camera well, I'm just not experienced at food photos at all.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
harripooner
Knows what a fatty is.

Photoshop Bridge makes white balance a snap and if you have a mac, iPhoto has the white balance adjustment tool that is just as easy. White balance is great since you can take low light pics without having to use your flash and make everything look washed out. Great post/article!!!
harripooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
deerslayer8153
On the road to being a farker

Raw capture and Lightroom solve many of life's problems!!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

All due respect, you guys are correct in suggesting what you have however, I was posting this so that "post production" would not be necessary on the photos. Once you have all your settings correct in the camera you won't need to mess with the images afterwards. 90% of the images I post are untouched. Which if you wanted to tweak them in photoshop or iphoto afterwards it (usually) can only get better right? Thanks for sharing though, very useful to know.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harripooner View Post
Photoshop Bridge makes white balance a snap and if you have a mac, iPhoto has the white balance adjustment tool that is just as easy. White balance is great since you can take low light pics without having to use your flash and make everything look washed out. Great post/article!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer8153 View Post
Raw capture and Lightroom solve many of life's problems!!
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote