First cold smoke, some questions

guero_gordo

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Made bacon from this link: https://www.americanspice.com/blogs/home-cured-brown-sugar-and-black-pepper-bacon/

First question, how do I recognize when a pellicle has formed? "pellicle" means film to me (from my days in silicon), but I didn't see anything like a glazed layer after leaving the rinsed and dried bacon on a rack in the fridge overnight, though it did look drier and had more of a taut appearance.

Second question/observation. I used a can of hickory shavings with a soldering iron for smoke in a cold Weber. Smoke smelled good and clean, but the first outside slice of the bacon (I had 5 pieces of ~7/8# each) had a sooty taste to it after 6h. Second slice was pretty good. Does one routinely sacrifice two slices to the cold smoke gods, or is this due to a circulation problem?

When the pellicle is formed, it will be dry to the touch, and a little tacky. It will also have a shiny appearance. Quickest way to form a good pellicle, is to put a fan on it.

You shouldn't have a sooty taste. Could be air flow, but more than likely, the pellicle hadn't formed properly.

Yah, we'll see about fridge time. Certainly the smoke taste was balanced on the interior slices.

I never worry about pellicle on bacon. I just take it out of the curing bag, rinse it and hang it in the smoker.

Re taste it seems to benefit from some fridge time, like cheese, before slicing. Seems to even out the flavor.

Same here. I make sure the bacon is dry. Wet bacon can cause streaking of the smoke. I hang cured bacon in the smokehouse while rounding up wood for the firebox. It drys a bit while hanging, but I make sure it's completely dry before putting the smoke to it.
The end pieces will have more of a pronounced smoke flavor due to having the most exposure to the smoke. The "sooty" flavor could be caused by a burst of heavy smoke or circulation.

I use a clean smoke. If I can smell it, I know I'm smoking.

Sounds like it should be fine. How long did you cold smoke?

The ends for me have usually had the same thing happen. I always just assumed it was part of the deal. Curious if others have better advice for the ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like cold smoked bacon!
I chop and change a bit. Sometimes I let the slab of bacon sit in the fridge, sometimes I hang it in the smoker while I go look for all the stuff I need to start smoking.
It depends on the outside temperature, space in the fridge and my mindset.
It all works fine.
I like birch for smoking and I use the proQ cold smoke generator.
I smoke for a couple hours (generally at night), bring the bacon back into the fridge at daytime and continue smoking at night again depending on how strong I want the smoke to be (I do this because of the temperatures I got and because the meat only takes up smoke for a couple hours)

Back