Landed this bad boy last night for $150

Smkrndbutt

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I had been waiting to buy an Old Country Pecos or Brazos for a while now, just couldn't make up my mind if it was worth spending the extra money or not, but then yesterday on FB market place, this little fella popped up and I couldn't pass up the deal. After haggling her down, I ended up getting this thing for $150. 16" Diameter, 31" cook chamber, everything 1/4" steel. I think all it needs is a little elbow grease, high-temp paint, new grates and some thermometers.

I've washed it down and started my initial burn off, but the rain interrupted the process. Any advice would be appreciated while I "restore" this thing back to its glory day.

Let me know what you guys think... I've been rolling with a 22" Webber Kettle for years now. This is my first offset, though I do have a little experience growing up cooking on my dad's.

Attachments

• 02. Grill.jpg
    02. Grill.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 00. Grill.jpg
    00. Grill.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 397
  • 01. Grill.jpg
    01. Grill.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 398
Sounds like a fun project, Congtras!

I have never owned or used a stick burner (yet). To me I think it's a great deal!

I made a very similar score via craigslist earlier this year. Old Iron Sides has been a great addition to the GMG and WSM. I started to restore the exterior but realized it’s totally unnecessary. I cleaned up rust on firebox a bit. I cleaned out the inside and then seasoned it and off to the races. I still haven’t messed with removing the decades of rust and patina. Not sure I will either. Steel is all solid and it performs great!

Last edited:
Congrats!
I have no experience on an offset, looking forward to seeing pics of your cooks.

Please share!

If it's in your budget I would shop around and see if you can get it sandblasted. 1/4" thick and looks in good enough shape to invest in. I had a similar size cooker sand basted for $40. Also get some casters for the legs. Nice find.

Thats a steal, thanks to someone here,I roughly sanded my offset down and just spray with cooking oil, looks spic

Looks like a fun project, and the reward will be ten fold when you start pulling food off of it. Congrats!

Looks great! my newbronsfield is similar but yours looks better!

grind the rust off the outside .. run a 200f fire(drive water out of steel).. let the steel cool and paint with 2000F header paint....

Back