MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-r View Post
I use a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor ambient temps when using the Meater while getting the pit up to temp and during the cook. I really don't trust the Meater ambient temp part of the probe. It rarely agrees with the Smoke until the end of the cook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
This took me a long time to get used to as well, but the MEATER should show a different ambient temp than Smoke because of it's proximity to a large hunk of cold meat. I've found that as the cook goes on, maybe after about 2 hours, the temp difference between the MEATER and the Smoke is almost completely nil.

If you look at the MEATER website they also address this "issue" and explain why it happens.

https://meater.com/support/ Look under the FAQ and the question that is worded something like :

"The ambient temperature reading of the MEATER is wrong!"

It explains the thermodynamics involved with the probe being so close to a cold piece of meat and the effects that has on temperature in that area.
I contacted Meater customer support about this after one of my first cooks. I had done a rotisserie chicken. They said I had placed the probe incorrectly (it was at a 30* angle to the breast) and being so close to the bird, the temp was influenced by that. So I've been placing it so that it is as perpendicular to the meat as possible. The temp readings are better, but still leave a lot to be desired.

I bought the Meater mainly for use with rotisserie cooking. It works well for measuring the temp of the meat - not so good for pit temp, especially shorter cooks.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pick up one of these and see how many degrees the Meater is off and add it to the Meater reading.