MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default ***November Special: MASTER'S CUT*** "2018 Tri-Tip Master!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread)

Our New November Special Throwdown Category is..."2018 Tri-Tip Master!"

This was Stlsportster's entry in the 2017 Tri-Tip Master Throwdown

MASTER'S CUT CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING:

1. Your entry must consist of Beef Tri-Tip as a primary feature.

2. You must cook the meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.

3. Only one entry may be submitted per person.

4. You must submit one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in raw form while cooking), and one photo of your completed dish. You must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result. In other words, your entry will include 3 photos, not one. If you submit more than three photos, you MUST indicate which three you want used for judging. You are encouraged to post your full cook thread in QT, and link back here to this entry thread, but you MUST include these three photos in this entry thread.

Here is an example from a previous Master's Cut TD Vote thread of how entries should be submitted:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...4&postcount=12

5. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a short rib you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced short rib. However, a short rib or short ribs with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on its own.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/2/18 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 12/3/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 12/3/18

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The winner will get exclusive rights to be called "BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master", which you can feel free to add to your signature, or to proclaim to the world, or have printed on hats, or whatever the heck strikes your fancy.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 12-03-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
tom b

and I nailed one last night
Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
and I nailed one last night

Did you take pics, Tom? I posted this entry thread late, so technically, if it was cooked on Friday, Nov. 2 or later, you can enter this.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
tom b

no pics
Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I'd like to do that.

Sadly, our Costco is cutting up all the bloody Tri-Tip into strips now and I can't get then any other way. It's a crime!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
I'd like to do that.

Sadly, our Costco is cutting up all the bloody Tri-Tip into strips now and I can't get then any other way. It's a crime!

Bill, see if someone from the butcher dept. will get you some whole tri-tips before they slice them up. This might be a possibility if they are slicing the tri-tips on premises...
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
dadsr4

Hamburger meat around us.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Gary Tomato
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
I'd like to do that.

I was a Epping (Vic) Costco last week and saw the steaks, so as I usually do, I got the attention of someone in the butchery section who asked someone in charge and I was offered a pack of four tri-tips, but took just two, they are the biggest i've ever seen. They used to do this at Docklands for me to so next time ask the question. Tri-tip steaks - baloney!
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Tri-Tip is one of those cuts that have a hard time making their way up to the Northeast. I'll see if I can dig some up.

Might be a good excuse to over-pay online

[B][SIZE="3"]:yo: [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!![/COLOR] :yo:[/SIZE][/B]
upStomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Hamburger meat around us.
restaurant depot, trader Joe's, I know at least 3 butchers but slightly over priced
Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Y'know, haven't cooked a Tri-Tip in a while . . .

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Well shoot...
I just happened to cook up a prime TT on Saturday (the third I believe)...Got great pics of an awesome meal...But no raw pics...WTF? Raw pics???
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
gengle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Looking forward to this but, Bugger they're like unicorn filets in Central PA! I can get them at Wegmans on the reg but, they laugh all the way to the bank! Farkers! They won't be laughing when all the TGI Farker type chains offer it. Won't be long before we see Hog, lamb and goat tri-tip. McTri-Tip sandwiches Yo!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Lets kick this off. Please accept the first three pics as my entry to the TT Masters TD. Full cook thread below.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=266633

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Tomato View Post
I was a Epping (Vic) Costco last week and saw the steaks, so as I usually do, I got the attention of someone in the butchery section who asked someone in charge and I was offered a pack of four tri-tips, but took just two, they are the biggest i've ever seen. They used to do this at Docklands for me to so next time ask the question. Tri-tip steaks - baloney!
Thanks Gary,

I'll ask.

When they first started doing this a few years ago, I did enquire and I was told this was the way they were coming into the store. Told them I'd never buy them like this and that they should simply put out a little helpful pamphlet in the fridge area on how to grill Tri-tip as at the time, it was still pretty new in Melbourne and local people didn't know. They never did anything about it of course. What would I know!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote