Plate ribs for dinner

Looking good. I do when they hit 165ish. A little liquid in there and go till probe tender. Someday I will try the no wrap.

I generally do the 3-2-1 method used on pork ribs. Paper to wrap. The little bit of braising that comes with wrapping is worth it.

They turned out great as far as tenderness goes but I was underwhelmed on flavor. I’m not sure if it was because I had smelled them cooking all day or what. They seemed to have a real strong cowy (if that’s a word) taste against the bone. These came from a local farmer that I had purchased a half beef from. Dunno. I can tell you I had much rather have a brisket or a smoked chuckie.

Attachments

• A5BB1279-B6EC-43D1-9E2F-87301C510364.jpg
    A5BB1279-B6EC-43D1-9E2F-87301C510364.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 130
I season mine with heavy coat of SPGO, wrap in butcher paper at 160. Yours look very good. My wife likes the ribs over brisket. Give it another try.

Was the cow grain finished or grass all it's life? Have you tried any other meat from the cow yet?

They certainly look amazing!

If they came from a local farm it's likely that it was a fully grass fed cow, and that really gives a very "earthy" flavor in the meat. It's not unpleasant but it can sometimes taste just a bit off compared to a commodity beef product.

Was the cow grain finished or grass all it's life? Have you tried any other meat from the cow yet?

They certainly look amazing!

It was a mostly grass feed beef. He does what he calls a light grain finish. Not sure what that means. I’m assuming no more than a week grain diet.

The other beef is amazing. Ground beef has a very good flavor and is noticeably different in every dish we make using it.

Back