Sous Vide Chuck?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, I sv a Chuck for 24 hours at 130, then seared over coals and it looked great. The meat could have been a bit more tender, however the connective tissue between the meat and fat was still tuff and the fat was not enjoyable and that’s usually my favorite part. If I go to 36 hours, will it help?

I've had better luck braising chucks.
The sous vide chucks have been as you described and a bit dry.
I've tried 36 and 48 hour soaks but found the texture of the meat a bit off-putting.

I've gone to searing either on the flat top or a very hot grill, then into a pan with beef stock, sealed with plastic wrap then foil.
Into the oven at 250°F for 8 hours or so.
It's pretty much the only way I cook roasts anymore.

I haven't done it in a long time but I would bounce back and forth between 36-48hrs. Even then you want to slice thin.

I respect the opinions of those who really like meat for meat’s sake and don’t think fat is a throwaway.

Just thought you might get better opinions, that's all. I believe it has been requested here that a separate area be created here for Sous Vide because of it's growing popularity.

Souse vide temps aren't high enough to break anything down in the meat to get it softer. And the sear isn't long enough to do that job either. That's why Terry will do a braise, and other people do a brisket like cook on it. Are you determined to make it work via souse vide?

Souse vide temps aren't high enough to break anything down in the meat to get it softer. And the sear isn't long enough to do that job either. That's why Terry will do a braise, and other people do a brisket like cook on it. Are you determined to make it work via souse vide?

Here’s the thing…I got into sv hoping it would help to tenderize pork steaks, which I’d love to be able to just grill, but find they are just too tuff to do that way. Unfortunately, I didn’t like that the pork lost its juiciness in the process. I’m finding that sv tenderizes meat very well, but it doesn’t break down the fats and connective tissues that make low and slow cooked meats juicy and enjoyable. If I didn’t like the fat, then sv would work for me, but to me, charred fat is almost more enjoyable than the meat, so I’m hoping someone will know the secret using sv.

You seem to be expecting well rendered fat that has been cooked to 200F+ and some how magically have med rare muscle meat.

You seem to be expecting well rendered fat that has been cooked to 200F+ and some how magically have med rare muscle meat.

Yes. That’s what I was hoping for from sv, but I guess it’s not possible.

Yes. That’s what I was hoping for from sv, but I guess it’s not possible.

Its possible to get rendered fat at lower temps like 150F but not 130F. I think 130F is not even safe for long cooks. Im pretty sure 132F is the minimum safe temp for long time pastuerization. If you want a somewhat rendered fat i would try 132F for 36 hours. Some people even go 48-72 hours which i always end up with muscle that is mealy like eating chaulk.

You need to extend your sous vide time to 50 hrs. I have done several at 130 for 50 hrs and they turn out very tender, moist and medium rare throughout. You’d swear you were eating prime rib.

You need to extend your sous vide time to 50 hrs. I have done several at 130 for 50 hrs and they turn out very tender, moist and medium rare throughout. You’d swear you were eating prime rib.

I think you’re right. Next try will be at 140 for 48 hrs. I like Medium. Thanks.

I think you’re right. Next try will be at 140 for 48 hrs. I like Medium. Thanks.

If your willing to go that high in temp, you might want to try 135F for 36 hours first. I think you might like that temp/time combo. In my opinion, 140F for 48 hours is going to be more like pot roastie flavor/texture.

This simply isn't true. It's not just temperature. Time is also a factor.
Some meats do better in sous vide than others. A good steak, two hours in a sous vide at 130° then sear is awesome. But chuck is a different cut.

If you sous vide chuck at 130° for 72 hours or so, sear, and serve with horseradish, you'll swear you're eating prime rib.

Back