Torn between two smokers.

Interesting-name

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So this is my first real post here and mainly why I joined is to ask the questions I am about to ask, I hope this is the right spot to post in. I tried doing as much research as I could before asking but as with being new to any forum there's a lot to digest and the more I research the more questions I have. Also sorry about any formating issues or spelling errors, I am on my phone.

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade from my pellet smoker which I bought real cheap used. I am just not happy with it and have relegated it to pizza oven use only. I am looking to get an offset and after settling on a budget and looking at the options that are immediately available to me (I don't like waiting months) I have settled on either an Old Country Brazos DLX or a Horizon 20" classic. Both are similarly priced with the horizon classic being $100 more (only $30 more after military discount), and both are available at my local academy or bass pro shop.

However, my real question is, the brazos dlx comes with some "upgrades" the horizon doesn't. It comes with a tuning plate, and counterweight. Both of those things aren't a huge deal to me, after all a tuning plate from horizon is like $70 I think and the counterweight is just a quality of life improvement to me, I'm young and strong. The horizon seems better built but comes with less features for the price.

However, in doing my research, I keep seeing people say the smoke stack being at grate level is the preferred option, which is what the brazos has, yet the horizon doesn't. So does it really matter where the smoke stack is? I would imagine that a company like horizon would know where to put there smoke stack, it's not like it cost less to put it in one spot than it would for another. And if grate level was the holy grail why don't all the more high end smokers have it there?

So basically, currently I am leaning towards the horizon as it has better build quality and from what I have heard there is better customer service with them than with old country. But are those extra things the brazos comes with and the smoke stack being at grate level really worth sacrificing build quality for plus a savings of $30 bucks?

I have a Horizon Classic 20. It’s a great smoker. It drafts well, easy to maintain a fire with. Food comes out tasting great. I have the tuning plate, but I stopped using it a long time ago as I don’t think it really helps a small cooker (unless you like cooking with the radiant heat).

I can’t comment on the Brazos directly, but I’ve read a bunch of posts on here about people having problems with them drafting or something like that. Perhaps someone with direct experience will see this and comment (or correct me if I’m wrong)

Smokestack at grate level is only one part of the design. The Horizon isn’t lacking because of it IMHO. You can order a Horizon with the stack at grate level (the Icon). But Horizon themselves have said it’s not better for their smoker, but people kept asking for it so the made it.

if memory serves me correct the horizon is the better built grill. they sell a baffle that evens temps out

imo low smoke stack designs are best when used in smokers with a top heat baffle

I have a Horizon Classic 20. It’s a great smoker. It drafts well, easy to maintain a fire with. Food comes out tasting great. I have the tuning plate, but I stopped using it a long time ago as I don’t think it really helps a small cooker (unless you like cooking with the radiant heat).

I can’t comment on the Brazos directly, but I’ve read a bunch of posts on here about people having problems with them drafting or something like that. Perhaps someone with direct experience will see this and comment (or correct me if I’m wrong)

Smokestack at grate level is only one part of the design. The Horizon isn’t lacking because of it IMHO. You can order a Horizon with the stack at grate level (the Icon). But Horizon themselves have said it’s not better for their smoker, but people kept asking for it so the made it.

Yeah I read somewhere, probably here. Someone saying that they created the icon because people kept asking for it vecause of Aaron Franklin but they didn't actually recommend it. So how even are your Temps across the grates with the tuning plate? I don't think I would be using the whole grate for the most part and I don't mind rotating meat if I had to but just curious on evenness?

+1 for the Horizon 20. The draft is sick. I like running it with the vent open, and the door partially cracked open. The only downside to that cooker (and probably most offsets) is that you have very different cooking areas. I'm dialed into cooking about 1/3 of the way from the firebox. It's a great sweet spot. If you need more cooking surface, then you just need to learn how to rotate your meat throughout the cook to get everything into that sweet spot. But, if you are just doing a couple of briskets or butts, then it's golden.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I heard some Yoder guy defected and started up Horizon. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. Also, it's VERY well balanced compared to the Yoder Wichita. It's almost to easy to lift compared to the overall weight. It still takes some "tug" to roll.

Good luck!

Don't quote me on this, but I think I heard some Yoder guy defected and started up Horizon. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. Also, it's VERY well balanced compared to the Yoder Wichita. It's almost to easy to lift compared to the overall weight. It still takes some "tug" to roll.

Horizon was started by Roger Davidson after he sold Oklahoma Joe to Charbroil (OKJ used to be high quality 1/4 steel).

The rumor is Yoder was started when one of the Horizon employees quit and took their designs.

I owned the regular brazos for a short time. If you can definitely look at them in person because the fitment on my brazos was horrible. Saying that it still turned out a damn fine brisket.

I specifically asked to not be quoted. :-D. Kidding. But, yeah... I knew there was some connection to Yoder. Thanks for sharing.

Horizon is a great option. Oklahoma Joes was the original company till sold. If you study older pictures of Oklahoma Joes bigger pits they are exact matches. They do make a grate level stack as was mentioned. I was going Horizon because I leave within an hour drive till I went Shirley Fabrication. Great pits. The Brazo's looks good also. You have excellent choices

Horizon was started by Roger Davidson after he sold Oklahoma Joe to Charbroil (OKJ used to be high quality 1/4 steel).

The rumor is Yoder was started when one of the Horizon employees quit and took their designs.

You're close, but not entirely right.

Joe Davidson started Oklahoma Joes. He sold to CharBroil in 1998 and they immediately cheapened the product and moved production to China.

Joe left Perry, Ok and went to KC to partner in a barbecue joint there, called Oklahoma Joes and now just called Joes.

His brother Roger Davidson started Horizon shortly after the sale, building the same Oklahoma Joe smoker pre-Charbroil.

The former plant manager for Joe and Roger, left for Wichita to help start Yoder. I don't recall his name.

As to the OP's question,

The Horizon is a bottom up smoker, heat is carried under the convection plate then rises to the top of the smoker where the exhaust is located. Its a time proven design.

The Brazos is a bottom up smoker, but it has a large baffle on the firebox end that protects the cooking grate from direct heat from the fire but it also pushes air flow down, and a lot of the heat can travel under the meat and out the exhaust at stack level. I owned a Brazos.

The Brazos will cook just fine but it needs just enough air flow to burn a clean fire. Problems come when ya try to to open it up to increase air flow. Bottom burn on meats is an issue if the air flow into the smoker is too strong as it flows under the meats.

I've seen a lot of people in the Old Country Facebook group and on YouTube make major modifications to the Brazos and Pecos. They cut out the baffle , add an extension or a collector to the stack end. This allows a good increase in air flow, but I can't attest to better results. I did not do this personally, so hey, IDK. I have trouble advising someone to buy a $1200 smoker just to make major mods to the thing. But its worth investigating and maybe talking to someone whose done that.

Thanks Lynn Dollar, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I think I will go with the Horizon 20 as I can get it for only $30 more.

Interesting-name: Interesting name and questions you have there. Welcome to the site. I hope you found from the answers above that this site is a great source to learn from and share information on the wonderful world of BBQ.

Hope you stick around!

Interesting-name: Interesting name and questions you have there. Welcome to the site. I hope you found from the answers above that this site is a great source to learn from and share information on the wonderful world of BBQ.

Hope you stick around!

Oh most definitely. And yeah I suck at picking handle names.

Back