MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Meadow Creek makes a really good cabinet Check to see if there is a dealer near you
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #17
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

There are a ton of options right now until you down select a little!

Do you want to use charcoal or pellets? How much capacity do you need or want (no more commercial jobs so, I'm guessing something less than your current monster in size)?

Basically, you are looking at either a Gravity fed or Pellet fed Insulated Vertical Cabinet smoker.

From there, we can help you narrow down some of the options to a manageable set.

In terms of a "trade", your best bet is to sell what you have and then purchase what you want because it is unlikely someone with a home-owner sized IVC is going to want a trailer smoker with that much capacity. However, you never know what some BBQ-PIT-SMOKER Nut will drag home so there is always a hope for a 'trade'!

Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

If you can wait a few months maybe wait until the reviews on the Weber SmokeFire start coming in. I believe they are shipping now so it shouldn't be long for the reviews to start pouring in.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
4ever3

I’m holding off on the SmokeFire if it doesn’t live up to the hype, there’ll be a MAK 2 Star on the patio.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
Bigpappa1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Zachary

Some others have already said this, but if you want high-end I would consider a gravity feed smoker. I haven't used one myself, but I hear great things. If you want to keep it more budget-friendly, there honestly is nothing quite like the Weber Smokey Mountain. I've had mine for years and it is essentially set and forget. The setup can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but it a competition-grade smoker in a small footprint and reasonable price. Plus it is very well made. There's a reason Harry Soo has won so many trophies using the WSM. I can't recommend it enough.

Now I never thought I would hear myself say these words, but Masterbuilt has a new gravity feed smoker that actually looks kind of cool. I haven't been able to see one in person, but the quality looks good and the price seems reasonable, depending on your budget. Check it out here: https://www.masterbuilt.com/products...l-grill-smoker
Bigpappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

I'm amazed there's no love for Egg/Ceramic type cookers here.
How much smaller can the footprint get with a set it and forget it pit?
I really enjoy my stick-burner but the egg still serves a purpose when I have other things to do besides tending a fire.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I just picked up an LSG Mini yesterday and am seasoning it today and I haven’t had to mess with it much at all once it got up to temp. Temp from top to bottom is running 5 to 9 degrees difference.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #23
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Check out gravity feed cookers.

I have an Assassin 24 gravity feed that is set and forget. No moving parts and I've cooked some amazing food on it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 01-26-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #24
BGEChicago
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
Big Green Egg the size of your choice is definitely a set it and forget it (boring) way to cook. It's especially good if you want a decent night sleep for a long cook.
no electricity required unless you want to get a controller.
Coming off your Lang 84 I would suggest an XL so you won't have too much trouble adjusting to the smaller size.

Completely agree, haven't stayed up watching a brisket or pork but in a long time. It's also versatile, 250 for briskets and the like or 700 for pizza. In addition, I don't know of too many rigs out there that offers a lifetime warranty. I have an XL and going to get another one this week. Do not buy a used one.. no warranty.

Thanks,
Greg
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote