Tri Tip

Stevelb_bbq

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good beef tri tip recipe. I'm cooking one from my step-son's graduation party and have never cooked one before Can anyone give me any tips?

Reverse sear. Two-zone grill setup. Smoke with hickory till an internal temp of 130. Char it up real nice on both sides over high direct heat. Rest for about 15 minutes under foil tent. Slice against the grain. Enjoy.

SS

I enjoy a triple rub process. Bayou Magic Rub. Then brown sugar. Repeat, three times. Then I employ my Jaccard with a vengeance as to tenderize. Wrap tightly and let it marinate. Then as the Brethren said...Cook it like a steak. I will either bank my coals in the weber or put it on my rotisserie. Sorry about the other pics non related.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54286&highlight=tri+tip

Steak seasoning. Smoke at 275 for an hour or until 132 IT. Rest 10 minutes or so. Slice thin. Thank me later.

I use Oak Ridge Santa Maria rub and like the others have said do a reverse sear. I cook at about 275 until 110 IT then sear until about 135 IT. I like mine about medium though. If you like it more rare go to about 125. They are great! Good luck!

so many folks trying to reinvent tri tip. Tri-tip reached perfection approx 40 years ago. It does not need to be over analyzed and over worked and require 73 steps to make it perfect. Use Santa Maria spice (Susie Q's or Jockos or Wagon Wheel Market preferred) Cook it like a steak. The most important step is the most often screwed up-----slice it against the grain. You will enjoy it. KISS keep it simple stupid---no need to reinvent the wheel

I am sorry if I sound like a smart ass---however some times I am. I have been cooking tri-tip for 25 years as a caterer and probably 15 years before that as a hobby. My Santa Maria Open Pit (or grill for you purists) was built with friends in 1974 after my return from USS Epperson DD719. I have cooked tri-tip with the best of Santa Maria. I have cooked tri-tip at the "Western White House" in the early 80's, and for Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1983. Please, please, please do not over think, over act, over smoke, over spice, over analize, over sear, reverse sear, etc etc etc. Grilled or smoked Tri-tip is almost impossible to ruin. So everyone loves it, and everyone comes up with a reinvented way to cook it. Guess what? Tri-Tip turns out good regardless of the method---so anyone who trys anything thinks they have reinvented tri-tip. Please keep it simple.

How to slice is as important as how to cook. But do not overcook.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU"]How To Carve A Tri-Tip Roast - TVWB - virtualweberbullet.com - YouTube[/ame]

This :) I mix some Black Ops in with my Santa Maria

I use Oak Ridge Santa Maria rub and like the others have said do a reverse sear. I cook at about 275 until 110 IT then sear until about 135 IT. I like mine about medium though. If you like it more rare go to about 125. They are great! Good luck!

s-p-o-g........salt..pepper...onion...garlic....

reverse sear ...finish on 600-700* grill ..internal 120 /125 rest 30 mins

Keep it simple. S+P with a little garlic powder and heat. I pull mine about 135 and it comes out what I would call medium rare. You can adjust that to your preference. Slice it thin against the grain at a slight angle.

Lawry's - Course Ground Black Pepper - Garlic Powder. 125 -130 Internal Temp let it rest for 10 -15 minutes. I like to cook them on the BGE at 450

Smoked a buffalo tri-tip last week at ~230 with some cherry. Salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Did it on the Jumbo Joe. Was going to reverse sear it on the chimney but noting how close the JJ's grill is to the coals, I just moved it from the indirect side to the hot side after it got to 110. Flipped it once at 116 and pulled it off at 122.

It was beautiful after a rest. Very even medium rare throughout. Tasty too. Wish I had taken a pic.

Back