MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
chargerteacher
Found some matches.

Default How Do I Go Indirect on a Kamado?

Hi all, I am looking to do a tri-tip grill this afternoon on a Vision Kamado B Series grill. The recipe says to direct grill for 10 minutes and then go indirect for about an hour plus. Problem is, I don't know how to do both of those and I only have a full size deflector plate for smoking and for pizza.

If I spread the coals as normal across the entire bowl for the direct grill and THEN move them to one side, would that create an indirect effect (assuming I also move the meat to the opposite side of the grill)?

With only a full size deflector -- and not wanting to buy a half one -- I'm not sure what the best way to go is for this.

Thanks much for any thoughts. I'm always doing some searching on here for tri tip tips (LOL) so if you see a good thread to point me too, that would be great!

Mike

Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

That's all it is, I would go indirect first though and reverse sear. Use the smoker plate with full sized deflector, that is what it means.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tri tips don't take long to cook so please don't go by time only temperature.

To your question I'm not sure I understand... Grill and put in your plate setter.

I agree with the reverse sear, I like it anyway.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
chargerteacher
Found some matches.

So thanks to you two who replied--last night was my first exteneded grilling session with the tri tip and I indirected it and then did a sear. I probably need to sear it a little earlier instead of waiting as long as I did. I think it was a bit overdone but it was still very tasty and encouraged me to try again. I learned more about handling the temperature and keeping it consistent-and it was fun, too! Thanks again, mike (i'd post a pic but I'm not sure I'm able to do so yet).

Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

If it helps, I have done a good amount of tri tip on my Kamado Joe for home and competition. It's been my experience that I enjoy the reverse sear bit more. However if you want temps to work with, I move my tri tip around when going hotter (450 direct). I want to caramelize the sear, not char it. That maillard reaction is what you are going for. For tender perfect done tips, take it off about 125 degrees, slather some good butter on top and wrap it in foil for 20 minutes.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerteacher View Post
I indirected it and then did a sear. I probably need to sear it a little earlier instead of waiting as long as I did. I think it was a bit overdone but it was still very tasty and encouraged me to try again.
Sorry I'm late to the game, but I just saw this post. There is also the forward sear where you sear the meat first and then finish the cooking indirect. It gives the same results as the reverse sear, but it makes it a little easier to catch the final temp that you are shooting for. Some will say one method is better than the other, but the truth is if everything goes correctly they both produce the same result. Again I think it's easier to hit a exact finish temp with the forward sear. Give it a try sometime and see what you think.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only problem with sear first in a kamado is that its hard to get the temp down after the sear.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
The only problem with sear first in a kamado is that its hard to get the temp down after the sear.
It sure can be, if the Kamado is extremely hot. However I have a spider that drops a sear grate down to lump level. As such, I don't have to get my BGE very hot to get a outstanding sear. With the BGE running at 350 degrees, the sear grate on the spider is much, much hotter than the 350 dome temp. It has always worked like a charm for me.

Last edited by SGH; 03-04-2016 at 02:07 PM..
SGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
wtxsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Default Same thing here

I have a brand spanking new Primo/Kamoda with the accessory drop grate. $70 extra. I sear the tri-tip on dropped lower grate @ 7-10 minutes then set a drip pan on grate. Install top grate and cook indirect over drip pan at say 325-350.

On my pit when I open the bottom vent the width of my thumb and daisy wheel with vent all open it will sit around 350. Open a finger width and she rocks along low and slow at 250, for hours.

Steaks at 450-500 I start on top grill then pull grill drip pan and set steak on lower rack. Bottom vent open 2 inches top vent rotated with top off stack maybe 3/4 inch.
wtxsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indirect, Kamado, Tri Tip, Vision