Almost 3 days of cooking, Longhorns got SMOKED!

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Started the cook on Friday around 8 a.m. for the pork shoulder. I let it get to 170, threw it in a full size steam pan on a wire rack and in the oven until it hit 200 sometime Saturday morning (was a long day so I don't recall).

Woke up at 3 a.m. Saturday morning and lit the smoker then got the butts on. Couple hours later on went the first rack of beef ribs. 4 racks of St. Louis ribs and a second rack of beef ribs, huge pan of mac and cheese, couple of smoked chickens for Jalapenos, candied jalapenos & cheddar corn muffins, and Creme Brulee for the guests. Got lazy taking pics but here is what I have. Great game, and food came out great.

Definitely need to go back to a bigger smoker, hopefully here in the next couple months I'll be back to a trailer rig. Geaux Tigers!

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20190906120835354-COVER.jpg

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20190907082512792-COVER.jpg

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20190907102100315-COVER.jpg

IMG-20190905-162657-269.jpg

IMG-20190906-121442-535.jpg

IMG-20190907-124027-562.jpg

IMG-20190907-124350-871.jpg

MVIMG-20190906-163500.jpg

Great looking spread. Looks like that whole shoulder came out great! How did you like it compared to just cooking butts?

Also, Geaux Tigers!!!

Great looking spread. Looks like that whole shoulder came out great! How did you like it compared to just cooking butts?

Also, Geaux Tigers!!!

I didn't see much of a difference compared to normal butts. Much higher price considering it was a SRF shoulder. It was fun to do once, not sure it's something that I would see myself doing very often. Especially since the one SRF sent was 22lbs, which made for an extremely long cook.

Awesome looking cook, you were throwing some food around my friend. And equally awesome game. My Tigers won too so it was an excellent weekend.

Gosh that looks good. I only have a Weber Summit Charcoal and can't turn out that volume of food. Guess I need to add a pit or two.

Geaux Tigers!

Gosh that looks good. I only have a Weber Summit Charcoal and can't turn out that volume of food. Guess I need to add a pit or two.

Geaux Tigers!

Takes timing and patience. I had to actually sit down and write this one out before starting.

As BBQ Bubba would say, "Outstanding"!

Awesome cook mate, looks like a Feast

Very nice. Everything is right about that, especially the outcome of the game.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, job well done.

I had always been told that Longhorns were tough and would leave a bad taste.
Turns out they are not always as tough as their reputation.

Just require some tenderization, with some pounding.
A good beating softens them up nicely.

Granted they tighten up during the middle, but by the end, they were breaking down nicely, and were easily shredded.

I realize that trying longhorn on a road trip is never guaranteed,
and likely will be much easier next time, experienced at home.

Geaux Tigers

Oh, nice cook

I had always been told that Longhorns were tough and would leave a bad taste.
Turns out they are not always as tough as their reputation.

Just require some tenderization, with some pounding.
A good beating softens them up nicely.

Granted they tighten up during the middle, but by the end, they were breaking down nicely, and were easily shredded.

I realize that trying longhorn on a road trip is never guaranteed,
and likely will be much easier next time, experienced at home.

Geaux Tigers

Oh, nice cook

I agree butt only if "tenderized". Great Cook!

Back