Talk me into a griddle

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a camp chef explorer 2 burner and I am thinking about getting the flat top griddle to go on top of it. My local atwoods has them for $95, so it isn't a major purchase. My wife doesn't think that I would use it very much. I currently have a lsg vertical cabinet, Weber summit charcoal grill, green mountain grill daniel boone, and a uds. So, I don't necessarily need it, but I kind of have wanted one for a while. How often do you guys cook on yours and what do you cook on it? I am interested in cooking smash burgers and possibly cheese steak sandwiches, but I don't know how often I would cook either of those. Thanks.

It's my favorite cooker. We both prefer my smashburgers over grilled or smoked burgers. I've done a bunch of fajitas, fried rice, some steaks, etc. It would be great for breakfasts. Just scroll through some posts and see what people use, and you'll have to get one.

Easily one of my favorite ways to cook. Breakfast lunch and dinner options.

2pUjCxIl.jpg

rlz3pTUl.jpg

DJdXmUhl.jpg

FQcEyfal.jpg

VpD8GK7l.jpg

I bought a Blackstone 28 and I liked it. However, due to limited space and the lack of portability of the thing I got rid of it. It sounds like I am talking you out of it. I gave it to my brother because he was hosting people for the weekend. For some reason he was kinda against a griddle. I think he uses it multiple times each week now. I am waiting for the portable Blackstone 22 to go on clearance and I will pick it up.

I enjoy mine, though I haven't used it as much this summer since it makes an already hot sunroom hotter. One thing I have appreciated using it for is cooking or searing things that when done indoors, can smell/smoke up your house. I like bacon as much as the next guy but I dont always want my house smelling like it for half the day. Like you said, you arent out a bunch of money if you dont wind up using much, and we're all enablers here anyway.

It's really a more expensive purchase. Once you get a small one you'll want to go bigger.... My Blackstone is one of my favorite purchases ever.

I swore I didn't need a 4th grill, but looking at posts here and in another forum convinced me - why not? I had the 3 grills fired up for a family gathering early this summer and really could have used some additional space. I kept talking myself out of it, then a week later the Blackstone was sitting on my pool deck. Yeah, it followed me home.

I've posted quite a few cooks on it since buying it, just do a search. Other members have posted quite a bit as well. The thing I like most about it is it's quick. Sure, I could fire up one of the Kamados, wait for the temp to come up, toss on one of my Lodge CI skillets or pizza pan but it'd be an hour before I'm ready to griddle. With the BS, it's ready in 5-10 minutes. The nice thing is being able to regulate temps, something that's doable but not easy with the Keg or Goldens'.

Omelets, bacon, crepes, pancakes, smashburgers (see today's post), fries, stir fry..... I've got a bunch of other items I want to cook on this thing.

Get it. You'll use it. I was a bit skeptical myself as to how much use mine would get. Trust me, it gets a ton of use. It won't replace the grills but it sure is a great supplement.

-Dom

We use our Camp Chef FTG900 a lot... at least 5x/week. By far our most used outdoor cooker. Love it!!! Super fun and super easy. From breakfast, to lunch to dinner... it allows for a lot more outdoor cooking versatility as you can easily do cooks outdoors that you’d never do on a grill... or not without a lot more hassle. Here’s a few recent pics.

Breakfast burrito bar:
864adb84f82f31f54d79b327204687cd.jpg

Sausage/veggies:
6a8f4c64a0cbd5c697fca09e394b9b98.jpg

Stir fry type dish:
b19af6a4b50f48186f34d7803b6c1aba.jpg

Smash burgers:
8f974c1fee88988d7537b0198c0878a1.jpg

A great lady sage inspired me to get mine so last Christmas I did. I don’t use it every week but I LOVE it. Browning hamburger meat, cooking eggs or onions for ANYTHING, shrimp, taco stuff, fish (although I do wish I got hotter so it would do a better job blackening). Point is I really like not getting the kitchen dirty and smelly, plus being outside when cooking is just special IMO.

Use mine mostly for breakfast and smash burgers. Bacon is always good but seems even better when cooked outside. Mine is a 28 inch Blackstone. Sometimes it would be nice to have more room but I have to roll mine across a lawn to use it.

I love the griddle!! I don't post pics often but I cook on it more than the other cookers now.
Get one, you won't be disappointed!

I have a camp chef explorer 2 burner and I am thinking about getting the flat top griddle to go on top of it. My local atwoods has them for $95, so it isn't a major purchase. My wife doesn't think that I would use it very much. I currently have a lsg vertical cabinet, Weber summit charcoal grill, green mountain grill daniel boone, and a uds. So, I don't necessarily need it, but I kind of have wanted one for a while. How often do you guys cook on yours and what do you cook on it? I am interested in cooking smash burgers and possibly cheese steak sandwiches, but I don't know how often I would cook either of those. Thanks.

I have learned how to cook:

Bacon / Bacon Candy
Eggs
Steaks (from 1/" to 2" thick)
Texas Toast
Sauteed Mushrooms / Spinach
Salmon Steaks and filets
Burgers
Carne Asada

Seared Ahi is next, and Duck Breast (assuming I want to lose the duck fat).

Get the griddle top. It's cheaper than buying a Blackstone. Once she has tasted griddled bacon, she won't say anything else.

Last edited:
I found the griddle online at moosejaw.com delivered to my house for $78. I have never heard of that website though. I am tempted to give it a shot.

Griddles are great. Personally I like Camp Chef over Blackstone.

Moosejaw is a reputable company. They've been around for years.

Back