MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default cutting board maintenance

How do you maintain your cutting board besides washing? I found this article: http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/butcherblock.html

Use of mineral oil is all Ive ever heard. This article goes a little further. Interesting.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

"It is important to note that Rockhard Maple and a few other closed grained hardwoods are the only suitable woods for cutting board use. Never use oak, ash, hickory or other open grained woods for a cutting surface as the pores can harbor germs and decaying food particles."

Interesting as I thought Oak would be ok.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Bigmista

Alittle bleach on the plastic works for me.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

... we spray Citricidal often on all our food surfaces and allow to stand for several minutes before wiping fairly dry. It is always in a spray bottle by the sink for fresh fruit and veggies. This may not be acceptable for any commercial or heavy outsider traffic, but it has worked very well for us over many years.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

For plastic I like to use a thin paste of comet and water.
For wood, bleach and using salt as an abrasive works real well.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Other than personal prefrence, is wood better than plastic or vice versa?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=woo...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

I had been under the impression that maple cutting boards had an enzyme that killed bacteria, but according to these articles that is not the case. What the articles are really saying is to clean and santize your board really well and often.

In one of the articles they say to use a solution of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. I like this option over bleach (one teaspoon in a quart of water).

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
bbqjoe
Banned

I read years ago of a study At the U of M and it proved a wood cutting board retained way less bacteria than plastic.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
soulman
On the road to being a farker

I primarily use plastic. They are just the right size to slip into the dishwasher. I have about three so I can always grab a clean one. The trick there is on larger boards to always put them in the dishwasher with the dirty side facing in so it gets cleaned well. Smaller boards can fit into the interior racks and that is not an issue.

For my maple boards, I will from time to time wipe them down with olive oil on all sides to keep them from drying out and cracking. After use I give them a good wash with hot water and anti-baticerial soap. Then a good hot rinse.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Bigmista

Seems like we can always find something to have a conversation about, huh?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, am I just crazy or those of you that have used both, do you notice that knives are easily dulled on plastic cutting boards? I don't use those fancy knives with weird edges that cut in one direction only. True hard steel blades.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
I read years ago of a study At the U of M and it proved a wood cutting board retained way less bacteria than plastic.
I wouldn't have guessed that. I've always heard the opposite, but not from real studies or anything. I'm thinking about building a big wood board.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
"It is important to note that Rockhard Maple and a few other closed grained hardwoods are the only suitable woods for cutting board use. Never use oak, ash, hickory or other open grained woods for a cutting surface as the pores can harbor germs and decaying food particles."

Interesting as I thought Oak would be ok.
Oak and Ash (very similar to Oak) are hardwoods, but Oak, especially Red Oak, is very porous. It can actually be a difficult wood to work with for things like routing if you don't know how to handle it. I can splinter easily.

Wood cutting boards should be made so that the top of the board is all end grain. This way you are cutting into the wood fibers and not across the wood fibers. The wood will be less likely to splinter and warp. You see that on butcher blocks where they are made of many smaller blocks of wood stood on end rather than long boards laminated together.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 12-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Oak and Ash (very similar to Oak) are hardwoods, but Oak, especially Red Oak, is very porous. It can actually be a difficult wood to work with for things like routing if you don't know how to handle it. I can splinter easily.

Wood cutting boards should be made so that the top of the board is all end grain. This way you are cutting into the wood fibers and not across the wood fibers. The wood will be less likely to splinter and warp. You see that on butcher blocks where they are made of many smaller blocks of wood stood on end rather than long boards laminated together.
HA!!!! I read the link from Brauma's first post...

"Never use oak, ash, hickory or other open grained woods for a cutting surface as the pores can harbor germs and decaying food particles. Softer closed grained woods deteriorate with knife cuts and usage and become unsanitary and wood splinters or particles wind up in foodstuffs."

Exactly!! When I'm not watching Good Eats or America's Test Kitchen, I've got my nose in woodworking magazines. I love hobby crossover!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
jpw23
Babbling Farker

When I replaced our counter tops here at home, I cut two 24"x24" sections out of the old tops for cutting boards, sealed the sides and back with and epoxy paint. Been using them for 4-5 years now, easy to clean, a little hard on the blades though( formica ). I also have a smaller maple board that I like and use a lot. It gets bleached after each use and the mineral oil applied.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote