MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like having xtra. It takes so long to fix that i might as well make more. Hard to justify all that time for one meal. Always a few chunks of frozen texas style brisket in the freezer.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

It's two of us now that my son is in college, but....

I have neighbors and friends that love brisket.

So I slice the flats and give them some, save the rest for sandwiches, and keep the burnt ends for me and the mrs.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yep! Plus, you stand better chance at getting a nice, thick flat with bigger packers.

Brisket chili is a great use for the leftovers!
I just used the last 3lbs of a flat to make chili for the first time I make a lot of chili in the winter and it's the best I've ever made.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

Because sometimes I need a favor from the maintenance guy,,,, or some other willing participant of the "I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine" club. You just never know what a small baggie of brisket (or pork ) can lead to in the future,,,,,

Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #20
quamdar
Full Fledged Farker

Was just at Costco today getting some pork belly (bacon Xmas presents) and I saw today a choice flat was 8 pounds I think and $42 while a 15 pound whole prime packer was $46. So that's one reason too haha
quamdar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #21
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Lightbulb Leftovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub puller View Post
Yair why is it folks always cook such huge slabs of meat?

There is only just the two of us at our place and we prefer brisket cold in sandwiches or with salad.

I just slice (say) a twelve pounder into five or six pieces and cook a piece along with a pork shoulder or maybe some silverside . . . they come off the drum at different times of course.

Makes for a nice selection of cold cuts and I get to run the drum every week.

Cheers.
Well, I'm a single guy living alone currently, between girlfriends...and I still cook whole briskets, and other cuts.

My reason?

LEFTOVERS!!!
:)

I often cook whatever in large quantities and eat on them all week. Even when not smoking...I may cook 2-4 entrees and some sides on Sunday, my cooking day. I like to cook. But I do this and have lunches and dinners for most of the week.

A whole brisket, I may eat by itself, or in sandwiches. Towards the end of the week, I may throw it in a pot and make chili out of it.

I"ll often grill a number of things on Sundays...meats veggies and then during the week, I can put them together quickly in a number of ways, so that I don't get tired of eating the same meals...I"ll make pita sandwiches out of them with maybe some tzakili (sp?) sauce, I'll at them in salads. I may throw them in a soup....etc.

I rarely if EVER eat fast food out. It isn't that cheap really...it is bad for you, and frankly it isn't all that tasty. I'd rather cook my own flavorful food from scratch, know what is going into it....and maybe a couple times of month, I'll treat myself out to a REAL restaurant...something where Ii'll drop a little coin on good service good wine selection and foods that even I might not take on cooking myself...etc.

So, there's lots of reasons. Not to mention, I have a lot of friends visiting and I always have something to feed a crowd if they come over.

So, that's it with me.

Oh yeah...I prefer to buy in bulk. Typically on a weekend...I only have to hit the grocery store for a very few items, things that don't keep like onions, lettuce...veggies like that.

I like to buy in bulk, get the discount and have most of whatever I feel like cooking on hand at any given time.

But I guess the one word answer is....LEFTOVERS. I love'em.

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #22
pal156
On the road to being a farker

I agree leftovers
pal156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Same here!
I cook for me and always smoke a whole packer. The leftovers are handy for quick meals.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote