MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
djswagg
Got Wood.

Default New Smoker Tuning

Ok, here is the situation: I have a new smoker and I'm trying to fine tune it. I understand that it takes trial and error. I'm just looking for some tips to speed up the process. Here are some issues I'm encountering. 1) Trying to find a way to extend fire life... Wondering if going with a charcoal basket would suffice, or should I install a Guru. 2)Even temps: I do have tuning plates, but I'm new to using them and am looking for some ideas on adjusting them.

Basically I'm doing ok, but I am thinking I should be able to keep a fire going longer than 3hrs before having to add coal and such.

http://rhythmandribz.com
djswagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

we need to know exactly what you have before offering recommendations as all smokers are different

pics would help but not necessary

thanks
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

If it's a stick burner babysitting is your life every 45 mins and charcoal will bankrupt the spending money. Tuning can be as simple as 3 to 4 el cheapo analog oven therms on the grate at $4 each.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

If it is an offset... Get 3 hrs burn time will prolly not ever happen.... Nature of the beast... You will do fine... Many variables to contend with.. Weather.. Fuel.... Pitch of the cooker.. Ie level or not.... Document what you do.. You will be fine... I have a guy running a guru.... On a patio model and he is getting close to 3 hrs burn time... But that does not happen often on offsets..... Practice practice practice..

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It matters rather a lot which cooker you have, make and model.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd sell it and get an electric smoker/cooker.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smoke...te-Model-SM025

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
If it is an offset... Get 3 hrs burn time will prolly not ever happen.... Nature of the beast... You will do fine... Many variables to contend with.. Weather.. Fuel.... Pitch of the cooker.. Ie level or not.... Document what you do.. You will be fine... I have a guy running a guru.... On a patio model and he is getting close to 3 hrs burn time... But that does not happen often on offsets..... Practice practice practice..
Paul,
I sort of understand the "level" thing but is it mainly because of the damming up of smoke to one end or what?
Thanks!