Babyback Ribs or Spare Ribs?

Which pork ribs do you prefer to cook/eat?

• Babybacks

Votes: 50 29.9%
  • Spareribs

Votes: 117 70.1%

• Total voters
Whole spare ribs for me please. Loin backs are simply too lean for low n slow cooking with all the loin meat they are leaving on them nowadays. I suppose you could trim off all the extra loin meat and get a better rib experience, but yeah full spares all the way here.

Hi I was thinking the same thing. Last Baby Back's/extra meaty were layered in fat.
St Louie is my choice.
DanB

I voted for spares and that's what I cook 95% of the time but I also like babybacks that don't have all that lean loin meat on them, all saucy and fall off the bone like. I want my babyback babyback babyback.

Two full spares = two St Louis cut pork rib racks + two sets of rib tips for another night of bbq pork ribs.......... makes sense to me.

To me they are more favorable, easier to not screw up and are cheaper. Unless the baby backs are less than 2.5 lbs (preferably closer to 2 lbs) you might as well cook a small pork loin roast, in my opinion. :-D

I've never turned my nose up at any piece of pork...unless my Wife cooked it.

:grin:

St Louis cut ribs for me, but I have no problem with full spares.

Baby back ribs to me are a restaurant gimmick......no offense to those that like baby backs. :-D

With a nearly 3 to 1 preference, I'm going to have to do some more spares, I guess.

My wife's aversion to them is the cartilage, gristle and extra fat on the spares.
Should I be trimming more or is there something else I should be doing differently?
TIA

Although I voted for Spare Ribs myself I ran across a good deal locally on Baby Back ribs. I picked up 47 slabs, cryovac frozen, for an average of $5.50 a slab. Typically baby backs around here are anywhere from $2.99 -> $5.99 /lb , these were on sale for $2.49.

me at checkout , lol

8jv8NjA.jpg

Usually get one of each. Decisions make my head hurt.

I think if I smoke off 3 slabs of ribs for each of the next 14 KC Chiefs games I will have 5 slabs left over for post season. That's assuming I'm not tired of eating ribs every weekend for the next 4 months :shocked: Realistically? 5 years from now I will find 30 slabs of ribs in the back of my freezer, lol

Back