MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Gas cooktop question.

A bit off topic here but I wonder if anyone can answer this. I'm in the process of converting from propane to natural gas in my house. I have an LP cooktop that we are going to replace.

I was curious if I could repurpose this to a remote hunting cabin and run it off a 20 lb propane tank with an appropriate regulator added. I know the burn time may not be long (particularly if running more than one burner) but is this doable or practical?
ncmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yup.
Ya can also get a NG kit depending on the model and keep it.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Yup.
Ya can also get a NG kit depending on the model and keep it.

-D
Thanks. Thought about converting it but the old one is a bit beat up and wifey wants a new one ($). Trying to make lemonade by taking it to deer camp.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Yes you can. NG burns cooler than propane. Normal feed is 10 parts O2 to 1 part fuel at sea level. You will need new orifices for the burners and a matched regulator to do it right. There are other ways to make it work but if you want it to last see if there is a conversion kit available.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Not converting this. Keeping it LP. What kind of regulator would I need to run it off a tank?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoose View Post
Thanks. Thought about converting it but the old one is a bit beat up and wifey wants a new one ($). Trying to make lemonade by taking it to deer camp.
What kind of person boils lemonade? ;-)

Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

You could use a lot of different regulators but 1 for a 3-4 burner gas grill would work well,you will be surprised how long a tank will last,A 100lb tank lasts me over a year on my 5 burner stove with oven,

Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I think I’d consider getting a larger tank out there - maybe depending on access to the site. If it’s remote and you will need to haul the propane back and forth you might be better with the 20

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

You can also tie two or more 20# tanks together like they do in some smaller travel trailers. When one tank runs dry you just move the lever to the other tank and refill the empty when you can.
Your current house LP system probably has a regulator in line somewhere and it will be removed for the transition to natural gas. Take it to the hunt camp.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

A couple of things. I don't know if you need a high pressure or low pressure regulator, but you do need a high flow one. It is determined by the color of the plastic part that threads onto the bottle. Inside is a safety device, acme, that shuts off the flow if the flow rate goes higher that it is rated for, i.e. a broken connection or cut line. The lowest rating is black, the next green at 200,000 btu/hr, and red is the highest at 400,000 btu/hr. If you don't have a high enough acme fitting then when you turn on all the burners and oven everything shuts off. The old style connection that threads into tank fitting, instead of around it, does not have this safety device built in.

The second consideration is where your tanks will be located. If they are outside, and they should be, and it is really cold outside on 20 lb tank can freeze up. As you use propane it is converting in the tank from liquid to gas. This causes it to get very cold. If there is not warm around it to counteract this the liquid propane can freeze up and cut off your flow. You could get around this by using two tanks on a Y at the same time. You would be dividing the full rate between the two so in each tank it is not that bad.

I recommend you call these guys, they understand propane very well and have great prices. I have used them for parts in building my homebrewing equipment.

https://tejassmokers.com/

Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Johnh12 posted what I was thinking...

Quote:
Your current house LP system probably has a regulator in line somewhere and it will be removed for the transition to natural gas. Take it to the hunt camp.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote