MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
BBQ'n The Burbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Brisket for #300 people, need advice

I was asked to cook smoked brisket for 300 people for a memorial service. My rig will only hold 8 packers I figured I would need 16. I've already smoked the 1st load of 8. I smoked them for 12 hours then rested them in a cambro for 6. Put that batch in a buddies walk in and started the second batch. Wondering what would be the best way to reheat before serving on Friday 7-8-11. Should I slice it before reheating or reheat and then slice? Should I reheat in the cambro pans? How long will that take? The event is at 4:00 pm. We are also doing burgers and dogs. someone else is doing sides.
This is my rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N 032.jpg (82.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg N 038.jpg (76.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg N 041.jpg (77.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg N 052.jpg (74.7 KB, 109 views)
BBQ'n The Burbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds to me like your rig is broken. I will come take it off your hands at no charge Nice lookin' setup you go there.

Unfortunately I have never cooked for that many but I am sure others will chime in that have with solid advice. I just wanted to compliment you on your pit.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Don't know too much about cambro's other than they keep meat warm, but I would not slice before warming up the briskets, probably lose a lot of moisture/juice.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you have hotel pans. I would put them in the hotel pans and reheat until up to temp. I would put a cooling rack in the bottom of the pan and put some beef broth in bottom of the pans. Then when you are ready to serve put them on the smoker or grill to firm up the bark.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
mykz26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
If you have hotel pans. I would put them in the hotel pans and reheat until up to temp. I would put a cooling rack in the bottom of the pan and put some beef broth in bottom of the pans. Then when you are ready to serve put them on the smoker or grill to firm up the bark.
That's what I was thinking too. Not specifically in a hotel pan but yeah in a pan with beef broth. I was thinking whether to say cover with foil but I think the foil would just soften up the bark. Probably want to bring up to temp slowly also.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, nice pit, bro! I can't offer any help for cooking brisket for that many people, but I do wish you luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

You may want to put up a post in the "Catering/Cooking for the Masses" forum - there's guys there who do this sort of thing a lot. Nice rig!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
BBQ'n The Burbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cool thanks! Love the input. They are in hotel pans. Bottom of the pans have a good amount of drippings. Tried to catch all. Like the idea of final smoke to firm up bark. I will post in catering forum. Thanks
BBQ'n The Burbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket