MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Question Christmas Brisket (2 weeks early)

My sister in law is biting the bullet and hosting the annual Family Christmas Extravaganza this year. She's putting on a pretty impressive spread and has asked me to contribute a brisket. Weather and free time being a big variable, I'm going to smoke the flat this weekend. Should I slice it the day it's cooked or leave whole? My concern is if I slice and freeze now, will it dry out when reheating in a few weeks when it's time to serve (and drink and tolerate family members...)? thanks!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi,

I would wait until the day of to slice it. I have done a few brisky's early then froze them whole for a week or two. Took out for a day or two to thaw then sliced cold. Love doing it this way. A gentle warm up and slices are fantastic.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do you have a vacuum sealer? As FireChief suggested, I would leave it whole as well for the first option. Once the flat is done, wrap it in foil and maybe add a little beef broth. Let it rest and then freeze it. If you have a sealer, once frozen seal the flat in a vacusuck bag. To reheat, place the whole bag into a pot of boiling water. The meat will reheat and the bag will keep the moisture contained until you are ready to slice and serve.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Gary in Va
Knows what a fatty is.

cook the flat to 170.... wrap in foil

bring it up to 200... take it off, in cooler with towels for 2 hours

then into fridge for 2 days

slice cold and vacuum seal... add in the bag any coagulated grease and "meat Jelly"

freeze

thaw before you want to serve

reheat in the bag by dropping in boiling water for 15 min

open bag and dump out only when ready to serve

proven technique... promise!

"You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning"
Gary in Va is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
brisket