• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket - Injection

I inject with the grain. I use two injections and it just depends on my mood. Kosmos or Dr BBQ's Big Cow injection. I've never had a problem with staining the meat. Last KCBS contest we came in 7th out of 52 and used Dr BBQ's injection.

What I have found out when I Inject a Brisket, Boston Butt, Chicken or whatever you Inject, is to never use too much salt...I usually Dry Rub my Meats also so I use discretion with the Salt...

Every since I came back from MYron Mixon's class I inject and it makes a BIG difference in my opinion.

I use beef broth base, Butchers, and drippings from the last brisket I cooked. Wrap in seran wrap, inject thru the wrap, vacuum seal, @ 24 hours before cooking. Make shure the needle is clean, bacteria will leave tracks. Just for grins, I roll/massage the brisket every 5 or 6 hours so the injection is disbursed or not concentrated in individual "pockets".

I use beef broth base, Butchers, and drippings from the last brisket I cooked. Wrap in seran wrap, inject thru the wrap, vacuum seal, @ 24 hours before cooking. Make shure the needle is clean, bacteria will leave tracks. Just for grins, I roll/massage the brisket every 5 or 6 hours so the injection is disbursed or not concentrated in individual "pockets".

So you are thinking leaving tracks is more important than having bacteria? I hope I took that wrong. Help me out bro.

I inject the sh&t out of (or into..) all my briskeys. I prefer Kosmos. :thumb:

You mean like a dry injection inside the fat layer between the flat and point right?

Dworl,There are a lot of folks here that frown on injecting a Briskey,and especially with (YUK) liquid Sm..., Sm...., gag ; I can't even say the ls thing:crazy:
Here's the thing:idea:,coat your Brisket with S/CBP liberally. put it on a 225*F cooker and forget about it for 1.5hrs. X the weight of the Brisket.
Don't open it,don't look at it and by all means leave it the heck alone:clap2:
at the end of the wait, you'll have the best tasting Meat you have had in a long time.:thumb:You won't have any leftovers,but just in case you do:confused:,
make chili,or stew or something you come up with:becky:.
Brisket is easy if you just leave it alone;that's why we all have more than 1 cooker:doh:,more room for more stuff:mod:.
stay busy and when you smoke,remember,

Listen to him... he is 80% on the money!!!!

We inject our briskets and have won 1st, 3rd and 6th place, in the last 3 competitions. Most of the winning teams, in the competitions, we have been in use some type of injection. In competition, you only have one chance to make an impression on the judges. That is just my opinion, based on our past experiences. :-D

We inject our briskets and have won 1st, 3rd and 6th place, in the last 3 competitions. Most of the winning teams, in the competitions, we have been in use some type of injection. In competition, you only have one chance to make an impression on the judges. That is just my opinion, based on our past experiences. :-D
impressive run!

Now for my .02 I like to inject, and Mad Max is right on about the judges. But for home use, If you like it do it. I think it helps with the moistness, and the right injection can add a lot of flavor.

I use "Better then Bouillon" found in most markets here in FLA. It's a paste that you dilute for use.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The commercial injections are more than just flavor enhancers; most, if not all, contain compounds that aid in retaining moisture for a juicier brisket.

Yeah, I already knew that, and that's probably the main thing that keeps me from trying them. I can't stand ribs enhanced with phosphates and besides, I've never had a brisket that ended up dry....as long as I didn't procrastinate on the foiling or overcook. I guess the injections don't affect the flavor as negatively as the enhancements for ribs with phosphates, but it does makes me want to thing twice about it.

Back