MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Doing Kalua pork today

My son (previously stationed in Hawaii for 2 years) decided to do kalua pork for his store's Christmas party as well as his always excellent hot wings.

We did up two pieces of pork butt this a.m. one for us and the other for the party tomorrow.

Followed recipe (no matter where we looked it always included liquid smoke -- I didn't write the recipe and I'm willing to give it a go) and scored and seasoned the meat then wrapped in banana leaves (didn't have a source for ti leave) and then foiled and into the ECB.
We're into hour six and it's up to about 160 so we're doing the 185ish and then into the cooler to let it rest :D

Figure we'll pull and season it with finishing sauce when Anne and I get back from a Christmas program later this evening.

Will give a full report later -- if anyone finds a real live kalua pork recipe with no liquid smoke (and I don't mean you can make one up!!) I would love to have it or at least the URL.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
parrothead

I would just leave out the liquid smoke and just smoke it with out the foil. There's your smoke flavor. Then just baste every so often with whatever the rest of th recipe calls for without the liquid smoke. Can you post the recipe? Sounds excellent

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
chad

Quote:
I would just leave out the liquid smoke and just smoke it with out the foil. There's your smoke flavor
Can't do it that way -- dries out (believe it or not) and the smoke flavor is too heavy!! It's not N. Carolina pulled pork -- the flavor is much more subtle -- remember, this stuff is normally cooked on hot rocks in a pit covered with ti leaves, burlap, and dirt -- no smoke involved.

Anyway, it turned out great -- really moist, pulled easily, and the finishing sauce has just a hint of "smoke" from the bottle :D

Trust me, I've researched this recipe and even the most traditional I could find used the liquid smoke. I tried it as I was pulling the meat and its great with no finishing sauce at all.

But, cooking it uncovered to get the smoke flavor would have you wind up with pulled pork instead of kalua.

Interesting experiment -- and the meat is great. My son was commenting this afternoon that it's interesting that nearly every culture has some variation on slow roasted meat -- either in a pit or over a slow fire.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 12-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
chad

The recipe is really simple:

Take a pork butt, score the fat side in several places. Rub with salt (kosher or "hawaiian" salt) then rub with (hang on!!) a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke.

Wrap in ti leave (we used banana) and then wrap in foil. You could oven cook this but we did it in the ECB just as we would a butt for pulled pork. Cooked it to about 185 -- into the cooler -- down to 165 -- pulled it.

Finishing sauce is a couple cups of water, some salt, and a dash or two of liquid smoke.

I'm still scratching my head over this method -- I must have looked at 12-15 different recipes and they were all about the same. Even if you dig the pit, burn the wood, heat the rocks, etc. you still finish it with the "sauce".

Anyway, the meat was super moist -- I think the leave help keep the meat off the foil and may add some moisture to the pack. I know I had at least a cup or two of juice in each foil package.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
Bigmista

That can't be authentic, even if it is good! Polynesians didn't origianlly have liquid smoke. I'll check with my Samoan friend for details.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
That can't be authentic, even if it is good! Polynesians didn't origianlly have liquid smoke. I'll check with my Samoan friend for details.
:? Sounds like I gotucha~! Bet they didn't have beer either, but still found a way to party on Sat night! :D

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #7
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

My wife is Polynisian so I asked her. She said it comes from the smokawoka tree.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2004, 10:59 PM   #8
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
t they didn't have beer either,
Poor Poor Lost Souls

Old 06-23-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Is a Hula Skirt required when making this ?

Old 06-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
:? Sounds like I gotucha~! Bet they didn't have beer either, but still found a way to party on Sat night! :D
I hereby apologize. I was wrong!

Here is a quote from my Samoan friend:

season it up, use hawaiian rock salt, bath it with liquid smoke ( cut
slits in the shoulder pork for seasoning and liquid smoke to get down in
thepork)
put in a oven bag and bake for 3.5-4 hrs. at 400 degrees........you could
also wrap in tea leaves before you put in the oven bag......then shred it
into fine
strips of pork......don't drain the fat......if you do.....use warm water
while you shred it ,( sprinkle it on as you shred it ) it keeps the pork
from drying up.....

Now if I could just get him to teach me to make his potato crab salad!!

Humble Mod

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #11
chad

Apology accepted! :D

You'll note in my original post that I was SURPRISED at what I found. I know some places do the whole pig in the ground with some kind of Hawaiian indigenous wood and some palm tree trunk "wood" along with the ti leaves or banana leaves (I use banana since they do grow around here in FL) - supposedly the native wood does give some flavor but it's mild.

So, I didn't believe that liquid smoke was used for kalua pork either -- but, like I said, every recipe I found used it on the meat and/or in the "sauce".

Go figure!

Old 06-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
Bigmista

My friend said it is just slow cooked pork. They add the smoke because there aren't a lot pits in the ground here. The traditional way was with in the ground wrapped in tea leaves over coals and buried.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
chad

Quote:
The traditional way was with in the ground wrapped in tea leaves over coals and buried
Yep and the pit is filled with hot rocks -- you even stick a couple in the cavity of the pig just before lowering it into the pit -- REAL PIT BBQ! :D