• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cabinet style smoker for your restaurant?

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of different types of smokers while eating at BBQ restaurants but just saw a local one using a backwoods. I guess I had always thought you couldn't have a "live fire" inside an establishment. Anyways, anyone else using something like a backwoods or assassin?

You can totally have a live fire in an restaurant. All those wood fired ovens, grills and many BBQ places are using live fire. Just gotta be smart about the design and meet the codes.

Must be a small bbq joint. Even the biggest BW isint going to hold much product.

I know of a guy who had 2 assasins in a restaurant and burned them out in 8 months. Not made for that kind of usage.

no live fire in a restaurant? that's like saying no stoves, fryers, char broilers, etc! To use inside they need to be UL listed and NSF approved. Check out ole hickory, cookshack, etc.. I just purchased a pair of FEC-120s for our bbq restaurant.

The J&R looks like what the Oyler is and I guess they are UL listed and NSF approved. I just didn't think that a backwoods would fall into that category. Not saying it isn't right, just hadn't ever thought about it.

A Backwoods is a great smoker, but, it surely isn't a commercial tool, nor is it the equal of the products from J&R. Oylers rock, but, in every way, you can see they are built for professional kitchen use.

Several around Georgia. Sold three to a high end restaurant group in Atlanta about 10 months ago. Followed up with them last month. They love them and run them daily. You just have to option them right. There is a 100 seat place close to Macon Ga that has been running a piglet for about 5 yrs.

The J&R looks like what the Oyler is and I guess they are UL listed and NSF approved. I just didn't think that a backwoods would fall into that category. Not saying it isn't right, just hadn't ever thought about it.

JR is an OYLer

Hey Bama I forgot about that cabinet cooker they make.

Back