Central Ohio

Thomac13

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Howdy! Still new to bbq by many standards but truly enjoy the art. I have always enjoyed competing physically although unable to now but still miss the competition so seriously considering competition bbq. Are there any teams in the area that anyone is aware of? Bonus if it’s a christian team!

Welcome to the fray. I haven't really looked at it but there's a Brethren-map link on this web site. I know that doesn't mean they are into competing, but it's a start. You might also check out Facebook and any list of competitions to see what teams are signed up. There's always a good chance to find locals that way. Good luck

Glad to see some interest in competition cooking. Joining a team that is already established is going to be a long shot. Most teams in the Ohio/Indiana area are pretty well established and most are single cooks, husband/wife teams, or 2-3 friends.

In general, the days of large teams that you can join in on are gone. That being said, find a group of friends or talk with your local church group to see if you can get a team started. A church from Cincinnati started a competition with and from that they created a team that has done a few (Holy Smokes).

The best thing you can do is get out to a competition (there's one in Jeffersonville labor day weekend) and chat with the teams that are there. Everyone is happy to talk to new/upcoming teams.

Luke’s assessment of the teams in this region is spot-on. I’d also agree that finding some like-minded folks (family perhaps) and try it out. You’re on the right path. Rolling solo isn’t easy, but it works for those with issues compromising.

If you can, make an effort to see both Friday and Saturday of a contest. The setup, cleanup, and processes you observe may save you money and frustration in the beginning. I wasted a lot of money because of ignorance. Again, as Luke said, we are a gregarious bunch and will answer and advise freely.

Or…….if you’re the impulsive type, someone will likely (maybe me!) would sell you a turn-key setup and you can jump right in!!!!!

I’m leaning towards cooking at the Jeffersonville contest. Feel free to come by.

Back